Help to determine what OS my system can run

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Wiish, May 23, 2015.

1. Wiish

Wiish MDL Novice

May 8, 2015
    I have an old Compaq Presario with AMD Turion 64 x2 @ 2Ghz, 2gb ram, and 150gb HDD with Vista as original OS.

I have just updated the OS to Win 8 Pro 32bit. but it seems that it's too heavy for my system. especially when running heavy softwares

I am thinking to downgrade to Win XP because im not sure if the system can run smoothly on win 7.
    or if the system can run win 7. which version should i choose?

any recommendations would be appropriated.

thanks in advance

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I would try Win8.1 first and then decide. 7 is heavier than 8.1 as far as performance on slower systems goes. Personally I would avoid XP if at all possible. See if 8.1 works better first. Seeing how Vista was on it, everything after vista should be much easier running.

3. Wiish

Wiish MDL Novice

May 8, 2015
    thanks for fast response

i wasnt clear just now. its actually Win 8.1 Pro N
    (filename :en_windows_8.1_pro_n_vl_with_update_x86_dvd_6051127.iso)

does it make any diff if i downgrade to win 8.1 pro/core OR win 8.1

i was also reading some threads abt old laptop and some ppl recommended win embedded.
    is it lighter than the normal version?

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    some Embedded actually have larger foot prints, embedded can be deceiving by name. As far as core pro ProVL ent, no they all run the same.

If that is what you have tried, maybe Win7 will be a better option to at least give a whirl and see how it goes. Your issues could be more about drivers than anything, that could explain why your 8.1 install is slow, driver support for that machine with 8.1 could be an issue.

See how 7 goes, the drivers might be better with 7 and that system. Most vista drivers can be used in 7 as well, so another bonus if windows update / manufacturer don't have win7 drivers for it.

5. Wiish

Wiish MDL Novice

May 8, 2015
    ok thanks. will give win 7 a try and see how it runs