HELP!! upgraded to F20 BIOS HP PROBOOK>> WINDOWS WONT WAKE UP FROM SLEEP

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by usmanyo, Feb 18, 2012.

1. usmanyo

usmanyo MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2012
    Hey guys, i have a HP probook 4530s and the problem i am currently facing is that my windows 7 professional 64 bit doesnt wake up from sleep since i updated my BIOS from f07 to f20!! i dont know what went wrong,... and i cant go back to the previous BIOS version... what should i do?? the computer when i try to wake it up makes noises, the cdrom noise and it comes to power, but the screen stays blank!

Thankyou

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Call HP ... assuming you used their BIOS update. Their website may have an FAQ for your problem or something in their knowledge base perhaps. Or you could just change Sleep to "Never" which is not necessarily a good solution.

If the situation becomes intolerable, you can use your system restore function provided by HP or restore one of your own Windows 7 system images.

3. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    download the bios update again, and try and reflash it, maybe have been an issue with the file?

4. usmanyo

usmanyo MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2012
    thanks for replying guys, i have done a system restore and a new windows @ phase doubt, didnt help, and nick you have a point, maybe ill donwload the thing again and try reflashing it or something.... but i doubt itll work, coz ive seen other people talking about similar problems after they updated their bios to F20....

5. usmanyo

usmanyo MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2012
    an nick how should i reflash it? by downloading it and running it in WINDOWS? or is there any other better method...sorry im a NOOB!!

6. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    #6 NICK@NUMBER11, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
    Well you could try and run again under windows, whats your file name call is it sp52938.exe, as you may be better running it in dos.

If you unpack the exe, you will find a application called FirmwareUpdate this will make you a bootable usb dsk or cd if i remeber

7. usmanyo

usmanyo MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2012
    sp52938.exe is the F.o7 BIOS which i wish i can get back somehow, but since the new F20 cant be downgraded! i have to try to reflash it and solve the problem... do you know a way to maybe rollback the BIOS, coz it says on the website that once you update, you cant go back to the older version of the BIOS.. i already tried the HARD BOOT method by inserting the appropriate files in a USB, but it gave me BIOS 500 error...

8. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Assuming the image you restored didn't have the problem embedded within it, your solution is very likely outside Windows. A bad BIOS flash is a possibility and a reflash is in order using a completely new BIOS download.

9. mani2020

mani2020 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2012
    #9 mani2020, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

I dont think that the F20 BIOS had something to do with it. Because when i got my hp pavilion g6 i had f20 BIOS installed and it was working fine and now i have upgraded my f20 BIOS to latest F50 from hp website and again its all good i think it has something to do with a file corruption or improper installation or wait may be you didnt plugged in A/C while updating your BIOS as it can create some problems make sure that your laptop was not on battery or wasn't been restarted, shut down or rebooted while upgrading bios as it can cause some problems ...you need to download the f20 again or better (i will recommend) you to download the latest BIOS from hp website as F20 is old now and F50 has replaced it and then upgrade it ( i think F50 will also be available for your probook) it will solve the problem for you as it is for all the latest pavilion series

10. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    So what you're saying is you believe the BIOS update per se is not a cause of the problem, but a corrupted installation of the BIOS update is? I buy that.

11. mani2020

mani2020 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2012
    yes because new hp pavillion g6 series come with f20 BIOS ,if there would have been any problem with f20 BIOS all the laptops would have been facing it and not only odd ones ... also if you update BIOS there comes always two warnings ,one is about plugin the A/C and the other one is never shut down, restart or reboot your computer while updating BIOS so definitely one can assume that doing so during update may result in corrupting installation or certain files

Also when f50 is available then why not go for it rather then sticking with the old one

12. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Why not? Because unless your computer has the specific condition or problem the BIOS update addresses, installing it is a waste of time. Given the always present possibility an update can go wrong, as is likely the case for the OP, don't update with what you don't need.

Generally, BIOS update release notes will tell you why the update was published. Not every computer will need the update. If you need it at a later date, get it then ... when you need it.

The position of just blindly installing every update when it comes out, be it Windows, BIOS, device or whatever, is chancy at best and sometimes downright disastrous.

13. usmanyo

usmanyo MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2012
    yea thanks for the replies phasedoubt and mani... but while i was doing the update, the ac power was plugged in for sure and i didnt turn the computer off during installation or anything.... so i guess it could be the BIOS problem, particularly with the PROBOOK, and i saw some other people talking about problems they faced when they updated their BIOS for probook 4530s... but now i have turned to the HIBERNATION option, though it is a bit slow, it definitely wakes my laptop up... and i was thinking of reflashing the BIOS but am scared, what if something else goes wrong! :confused:

THankyou

14. mani2020

mani2020 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2012
    One thing that baffles me is 4530 probook with all the features it has like finger-print reader , face recognition software (though it can be downloaded separately too for other laptops) , aluminium build , genuine OS and many other features how can it be relatively cheap when compared to other laptops with much higher price but less specs from the same company

but off late i am hearing many problems with the 4530 as one of the problem my friend is facing with it is it usually heats up and shut down while doing some intense work , others are complaining about its matte display ( though was its feature but really had made the looks bit dull) and now i am hearing about this problem hmmmm

anywayz instead of doing some daring stuff and ending up with damaging your machine instead i will advice you to either live with it (coz its not a big problem when you have an alternative options of hibernating etc, or simply upgrade it with f50 bios i very much hope it will work for you. obviously there is a reason behind hp offering f50 BIOS ...they can't offer anything without any purpose

so my bet is your problem will be resolved with it

15. usmanyo

usmanyo MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2012
    the latest bios for the probook is f20 brother... have a look under the probook 4530s drivers on the website
    and today the laptop didnt wake up from HIBERNATION!! if it does it again ill do the daring stuff damage it and then give it in to WARRANTY as i just bought it a MONTH ago!!

16. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Given the problems you're experiencing, I'd have taken a brand new machine back to the retailer a whole lot sooner than you're planning. But if you are going to return it, the less you do to it the better. If it appears you're damaged it because of tinkering you may void your warranty.

17. salafi2k

salafi2k MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2012
    I am facing exactly 100% same problem with my HP Probook 4430s.

If you can solve it with F.50 then inform me.

Thanks

18. mani2020

mani2020 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2012
    As he said f50 bios update is not available for probook rather for latest pavilion series so you may not be able to update, obviously its not rational to update something which is not designed for your system ...i think you should wait for the update to become available for your model or if its in warranty then take it to the manufacturer as it may be a manufacturing fault...btw is it me or anyone esle is also hearing complaints about probook specially the 4530 series (though in your case its 4430) ,as i already mentioned

Because if my memory serves me correctly there was a manufacturing fault in another series of laptops from same company and later the laptops were called back , i read it somewhere on hp website in support forums i think ..you can have a look there too

19. usmanyo

usmanyo MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2012
    yea i was thinking the same, ill wait for the new BIOS version to come out.. if that doesnt solve the problem, im giving this crap into warranty, i was also thinking about trying to re install the BIOS f20, but not sure whether i should go through with it or not, just dont want to mess it up further...

20. mani2020

mani2020 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2012
    take it to the store you bought from without further delaying or messing up...if it would have been out of warranty then messing around would have make sense but now as its in warranty don't risk your money