Help viewer encountered unexpected problem and cannot continue -msexcel 2007-

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by jraju, Jun 12, 2013.

1. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    #1 jraju, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    Help viewer has encountered unexpected problem and cannot continue -msexcel 2007-Microsoft Help Viewer message
    Hi, I encountered this error when i click word or excel HELP icon ,the ? icon at the right top. I did notice that windows has updated some updates for ms office programs particularly in the help file. It has been updated and configured at the subsequent boots. But when i clicked the help file, i am getting this probelm. Other functions are perfectly working in all the office programs. I would be happy if solutions are given
    I have tried ms office diagnostic tool , it does not report any problem.
    I have uninstalled and installed office 2007, but when i click after installing the same probem persists.

2. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    #2 jraju, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    (OP)
    I think that nobody had the problem i had. It was giving much stress to me to find the solution to this problem. Even i addressed microsoft community about this problem. The solution came. But it was the one , i already tried. It has taken 16 hours of continuing with surfing the net, but could not get it corrected. I could not also post the attachement. One of the suggetion , for installation problem from a site, i noticed is with regard to user accounts. I did not think about it. Anyway, i tried to add one user to my computer and after giving admn right to the user, for this , i had to again surf the net. Windows seven forum suggested two approaches. But little more surfing had the simple power giving options. I had done, and i logged in the new user , and in the uac, i got this name also, i installed the ms office 07 and i clicked the help button. Wow, to my surprise, it worked. I stopped all updates and now i am able to get the help menus, Thank god.
    I am the one who is using this computer as admn. Can i delete the old account. Will it pose some new problem pl give valuable suggestions

But there is another problem. When i logging to the new account, i am able to get the help file. But switching to my old account, the same problem persists. How, sir,
    The same computer, same application but different scenarios.
    How to correct this problem at my logging in my usual account. I am asking this, because, when i log in to the new user, i am not getting my user settings, but a different one.
    Will some one will help me how to get rid of this problem. The ms office was uninstalled using their own fixit, and i installed the software again.

I am the one using this computer as admn. Can i delete the old user, that is me, from the user accounts. will it pose some problem when accessing or deleting, or in any way. pl help

3. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    LOL..that's always a good reason - no malice intended just found it quaint :biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Please any suggestion in the second para of my letter and advise me

5. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, Still there is no permanent solution. But i heard that it is something to do with HKCU. Because, the excel help works in the other user account. Which key i have to look and edit in the registry in HKCU, to be enable to use the help viewer in my user account.
    I wish to inform that in the meanwhile, i could access the help file all of a sudden, but after a few days , say 5 to 6 days, it again started. How it happens. I am expecting replies from MDL senior and gurus on this

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #6 PhaseDoubt, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    After uninstalling did you scrub the registry? If you didn't, you might want to consider doing it. After uninstalling, you might also want to delete any unneeded folders. I like Ccleaner to scrub the registry. Scrub after uninstalling.

Although potentially risky, you may need to search the registry for reference to the software and delete them. If you decide to attempt this, you should first export every item you delete so if you need to you can restore the deleted entry.

HKCU refers to the registry ... the Current User.

It sounds like you have a corrupt profile. You'll likely be ahead of the game buy creating a new user with the rights you need. If this works, and you've copied all your data over to the new user, you can do away with the old one.

7. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
    #7 Bytebuster, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Sirs, I have uninstalled the microsoft office using there uninstaller especially office uninstaller, which clean slates the registry . It is microsoft fix it 50154. and i think it uninstalls all the older ones. I have also tried your creating of a new user with administrative rights to the new user. So, only it works in there. It was also working for somedays, i do not know how, but suddenly brings up this message. Why this behaviour, sir.
    I also tried the Bytebuster suggestion. I am saying that it could be accessed thro the new user i created. It perfectly works there. I tried ms office repair, diagnostic tools and it shows no problem.
    Where i could find this error log in registry.

"If this works, and you've copied all your data over to the new user, you can do away with the old one." by Phasedoubt.It is working with that user. Why not in my user account. The same microsoft, the same machine, but works for one user. Please kindly suggest. When I log in to the new user, it works perfectly. When i open my files,thro that user, i could edit my files. I do not understand
    How to copy all my data over to the new user, sir,
    Have written to msoft also, they reply to the query taking one month for one reply.

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #10 PhaseDoubt, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    Things in Windows get broken, corrupted, they blow up ... how ever you want to describe it, things just simply get messed up. If your new user works to your satisfaction, just accept that and move on. A detailed root cause determination of why things happen is basically a waste of time. If your fix works, you're done. If the problem reoccurs, you may have more serious problem that needs attention but for now just go with what works.

When I copy files I do it using the Windows Explorer. Highlight them and do the copy/paste thing.

When you go into Control Panel > User Accounts to remove the old user, you will be given a choice to keep or delete files. In your case, it might be a good ides to elect to keep them. You can always delete them later if you wish. If kept, the files will stay right where they are, you will simply no longer have the user that created them.

10. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
  11. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    #12 jraju, Jun 26, 2013
    (OP)
    Hi, sorry. I thought that some thing remote is affecting me so I have asked for the solution from MDL. I have read articles to the effect. Please kindly see my post, where i have given the log event. If suppose, some vulnerability, i could correct as per the seniors advice. I am a novice

Hi, the problem was solved. I reset the internet explorer, by going to the internet options, advanced and selected. Reset. It warned me to close all the programs. I did and it asked me whether to preserve private settings, I uncheck and then it reset. I tried again the help and it worked. Thank you for all who have contributed to this thread.
    Do not know how internet explorer reset would correct this problem. there is a external link available for online hlp and this would have been . Thank you.

12. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #13 PhaseDoubt, Jun 26, 2013
    Why do you suspect you are being hacked? You might be, but to pin your bad user problems on a system invasion is, in my opinion, waaaaayyyy over thinking the situation. Profiles, and other files, simply get corrupted all the time unfortunately. Not as much as they used to, but it happens and usually it has nothing to do with a system invasion.

Have you installed all the security patches MS suggests? If not, you might want to do that via Windows Update. You also might want to consider dumping XP and going with Windows 7.

Have you locked down your wireless network and router if you have them? Security is not just MS file installations, it includes network security, and router setups and the like.

13. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Pl see my post. I am using window 7 ultimate for your kind informtion. It is not hacking i suspect. It is a vulnerability in the system, i want to correct. Should not i ask questions like this. Then i would not .I do not want to be harsh like your reply. with due respect for your prompt replies

14. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
    I'm sorry, ...reading through your postings I somehow lose track. o_O Could you please confirm the (initial) 'problem' is solved?

15. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Pl see my post last but one, where i have mentioned that the problem has been solved. I think that some internet used for online help of microsoft has some vulnerability and so help control block somehow the programs. But when i reset the internet explorer (I have ie10) and removed all my personal settings, the problem was solved. Probably the internet help for office help would have been compromised and they would have updates for that.
    Thanks for all help, and how to close the thread as solved in this forum.pl