Help Wanted: HP dv6700 Win 7 Bad BIOS flash

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by pincushionman, Sep 22, 2014.

1. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
    #1 pincushionman, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    I acquired a new-ish laptop (an HP Pavilion dv6768se / dv6700 CTO / dv6700t) and Installed Windows 7 64. I then tried to flash the BIOS through Windows 7. I've done it plenty of times through XP and Vista. Even on Windows 8. Surely HP wouldn't leave a BIOS brickmaker on their website with absolutely no warning?

Yes, they would.

Windows 7 and WinPhlash happily let me erase the EEPROMs, but from what I can see, they did not to write any information back into them. It rebooted after completing the last aaaaaand - bricked. No post, nothing. Just lights and a high speed fan that slows after a bit.

I've tried the WinCrisis recovery method, but all I get is a single beep. I removed all drives, optical and HD, network cables and battery and held Win-B. Tried both USB floppy disks and USB keys in various sizes, none seem to get any activity. I just get one (loud) short beep. The BIOS was F.27 and I was trying to flash F.34.
    The F.34 bios is SP52477 - The F.27 BIOS is sp38261. The motherboard is a Quanta (I don't recall the exact number, it started with a 30, like 30c0 or 30d0 or 30d3 - something like that), and I have tried file names of BIOS.WPH, 30CF.BIN, 30CF.WPH.

hxxp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp38001-38500/sp38261.exe - F.27
    hxxp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52001-52500/sp52477.exe - F.34

(sorry, cannot post links yet)

Interestingly, if I put no media in there whatsoever, I get a different startup sound, 1 long then 2 short beeps (also loud). And it loops.

Any suggestions? Is a particular version of Phlash required? Does any files have to be in special place? Should there or shoudn't there be an autoexec.bat?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

2. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
    Ok, I think I'm well and truly hosed. I suspect that BIOS write protect was turned on, and Windows 7 didn't check that. So the BIOS was happily erased, but not reprogrammed. It is completely my fault, I should've checked for that.

I found that this model has a BIOS chip SOP-8 1 MB EEPROM (or so), a G266-25, somewhat near the wireless under some plastic.

What kind of burner is recommended? I'm looking at a SOFI SP8-A USB high speed reader/burner with an additional SOP-8 clamp adapter to read/burn the chip. It'll take on the order of a month to get here. Before I order, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?