help Windows 8 crashed again

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by treacherous_hawk, Apr 15, 2015.

1. treacherous_hawk

treacherous_hawk MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Hello friends, last time i had trouble while trying to refresh my pc from Windows settings (dont remember if it was reset or refresh, it was the one that wipes everything) Last time also it crashed while doing it and i took it to service center as it was under warranty. Now that it has happened, it got shutdown on its own while refreshing (was connected to power source) and now when i try to power it on it says something like "Preparing Automatic repair" and shuts down, sometimes with bluescreen (very quick, error unreadable).

After getting it fixed last time, i took system image using Windows inbuilt option and also with snapshot software. While using Windows make image feature, i did not burn it to dvd and is saved in my external hdd, how to use it? and also the same is with backup image from Snapshot software (no iso). I also extracted key and have saved it, now to be able to use that i believe i need to download same version of windows computer came with (to be able to read key from BIOS?). It came with Windows 8 Single Language. but i am unable to find any such download link here on forum.

tl:Dr? help me with the download link for Windows 8 Single language with procedure how to do a clean install or help me how to use Windows image and image from Snapshop software which is not in ISO format but saved as it is.

2. gap-computer

gap-computer MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2015
    #2 gap-computer, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    Have you tried accesing the "Recovery Partition" on the hard drive to re-install Windows. Most computers use press an F key during the initial boot / power on sequence (F1, F8, F10, F11, Etc) to start the recovery process.
    i can't add the link so go here forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/54558-Paul-s-Magnetic-MSDN-Jukebox (windows 8.1)
    and here is the last time you had that problem (09 Mar 2014))forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/52992-Windows-8-1-crashed you can check the steps giving to you there

3. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    IT crashed while on Windows 8.1. Came with Windows 8.0 Single Language. Come on guys help me out here. As i have the key for my Windows, can i now install Windows 8.1 and enter that key or will i have to use 8.0 (for which i cannot find any download link). Else best would be, to be able to use windows image that i took, if someone could tell me how to utilize it as it is not ISO.

4. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    Untitled.png Untitled1.png
    Screenshot of how Windows image looks like

5. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    did not understand a thing, i am new to these things. As the windows 8 has crashed and i am currently using Windows 7 laptop, windows installation media creation tool give me option to choose Windows 8.1 from drop down and is downloading Windows i think. For create ISO from ESD it again is Windows 8.1 and has something as winblue along with its name and i have no clue what that means or what that is for. Also, even if i download 9600.17053.winblue_refresh.141120-0031 / IR5 and create ISO from it are you suggesting that i can install Windows 8.1? If so which method to follow as media creation tool is downloading and my internet speed is very poor, should i go with ESD file download?

6. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    That is just an advice on how to reinstall your OEM Single Language and I dont remember if the media creation tool give you the choice to download the single language version. If yes then all is good. ;)

7. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    it does but 8.1 not 8.

8. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Then it's ok you can use your OEM key for 8.1:clap:

9. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    any other download link for Windows 8.1 single language as the media creation tool downloads it and it might get interrupted. Any other magnet link?

10. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    is this 9600.17053.winblue_refresh.141120-0031_x64 same as Windows 8.1 iso (except this one needs to be converted to ISO)?

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @treacherous_hawk

I've already covered the answers in my guide.

1. Yes, you can use them.
    2. Yes, (depending on your input) you'll get an ISO.
    3. Yes, it will.

12. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    and while running cmd script i have to choose option 1 "Create Full ISO with Standard install.wim" right?

13. gap-computer

gap-computer MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2015
    [FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]System image backups can’t be restored from within Windows as they’re overwriting the Windows system entirely. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]To restore a system image backup, you’ll need to boot from [/FONT]Windows 8.1 installation media[FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif],[/FONT]recovery drive, or system repair disc.
    Insert the installation media or recovery drive and reboot your computer. When the installation process Starts, click the Repair your computer link.
    Click the Troubleshoot tile to access the troubleshooting options.
    Click the Advanced Options tile to access the options intended for advanced users.
    Select the System Image Recovery option to re-image your computer from a system image.
    Windows will walk you through restoring a system image backup. Connect the external drive containing the system image backup to your computer if you haven’t already — you’ll be able to restore directly from it to your computer.
    Microsoft has clearly hidden this functionality so average users will use Windows 8’s new File History backup tool and Refresh and Reset features.
    Luckily, they haven’t removed this feature entirely, so system administrators and geeks can continue to create and restore system image backups on Windows 8.1 — no third-party software required.
    info is provided from Microsoft website (using Google)

14. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    #18 treacherous_hawk, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    (OP)
    alright, i got the iso file created and now while trying to make bootable USB from Zotac USB maker, got message something like your setup seems to be EFI capable do you want to continue or not, i said no to it as it was asking for more than 32gb space. is that what was needed?

15. treacherous_hawk

Mar 9, 2014
    i made usb bootable without using EFI option in Zotac and changed boot menu to usb pen drive but when choosing USB pen drive from advanced boot option it again takes me back to preparing automatic repair and then shuts down. This happened last time also and i took it to service center as it was in warranty, now it is out of warranty. Help please.

16. gap-computer

gap-computer MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2015
    did you try using EFI option when you make the USB? did you change you bios settings from UEFI to Legacy?