Help with a Insyde H2O BIOS (eMachines 350 - Netbook)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by quetzalin, May 25, 2011.

1. quetzalin

quetzalin MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2011
    Hello,

So today i flashed my netbook with a moded SLIC bios but... well, thing's didn't work well as i bricked my bios.

I've been trying everything explained on this forums (can't link threads, but believe me, i did).

But nothing works, i can't get my NETBOOK to beep at all like people says it does when it starts trying to find a bios on the usb pendrive or even a usb cdrom.... :/

Anyone successful with this computer??

Thanks a lot!

2. TTAV134

TTAV134 MDL Expert

Mar 1, 2009
    EFI bios are generally easy to recover (with the appropriate method)
    which one did you test.

describe your method:

3. quetzalin

May 25, 2011
    First i formatted with FAT32 an usb flash stick and copied this files: 'NAV51D2.fd' (which is the original bios and also according to andy's tool is the right name for the recovery), also made a copy of it with different names just in case: 'NAV51D2.BIN' , 'NAV5.fd', 'NAV5.BIN', '0118.fd' and '0118.BIN' .

Then...
    1) Removed the battery and the power adapter (power cord).
    2) Attached the USB flash stick.
    3) Holded down the keyboard windows key + 'B' (also tried with Fn + Esc and Fn + 'B').
    4) Plugged In the Ac Power adapter.
    5) Pressed the power button.
    6) Released the buttons.

After step 6) nothing happens, i think the computer is supposed to start looking for the bios on the usb but nothing happens.

I also did the same but instead of plugging an USB flash stick i plugged an USB dvd-rom drive with the same files writed on a cdrom...

4. TTAV134

TTAV134 MDL Expert

Mar 1, 2009
    the method seems good.
    test with a FAT USB stick lower than 2Go.

5. quetzalin

May 25, 2011
    #5 quetzalin, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
    (OP)
    tried with a 1GB usb stick and same result :/

i noticed the USB have an status led, it doesn't turn on at all (or doesn't have any activity)...

also the netbook has a built-in card reader... maybe if i get one of this cards it will work?

6. nike221984

nike221984 MDL Novice

May 26, 2011
    Hi, I have the exact same problem as you with the same netbook.

If you use the "Fn" button does your fan spin constantly?
    Read somewhere that the button combination has to be right.
    Where did you download your firmware from and do you have the platform.ini?

Maybe we can help each other and get these back to life!

According to most people on the site its easy,
    Only when you know how though!

Cheers!!

7. manonfio

manonfio MDL Novice

May 26, 2011
    #7 manonfio, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
    hi im from mexico and i got the same problem, well my experinece was my bro installed a bios 1.08 of em350 but after install the netbook reboot as a process of BIOS installation after that the netbook never boot up again just the blue Light of POWER button and led OF POWER, i used the FN+ESC, FN+B, WINbutton+B, WIN+R,FN+B,FN+R,and some other s and no work. after that attempts, netbook was opened to search the CMOS batt for some result, after clear the cmos with a clip we reassembled to prove it but again NO SIGNAL OF fucntion,

i tried to use a 2gb usb with bios+(FN+ESC),no worked, ok time to use a old 256mb usb, and still no work

to NIKE221984

YEAH when i press the FN+esc the fan spin constantly dunno why? but it does, but just runnig with the battery, when ac adaptor is plugged and press FN+esc or simply FN the fan just spin a little and turn off and netbook still ON.

really need repair this baby cuz i got some important info and and i have to pay 50 dollars just for revision in emachines O.O;+PARTS $$ NEED it to repair

8. quetzalin

May 25, 2011
    #9 quetzalin, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
    (OP)
    I got new info, maybe useful maybe not... after trying everything even with the built-in card reader or an FDD usb i started doing some researching on another and ->never<- flashed netbook eMachines 350 i have (by never flashed i mean, with this last version):
    Following the steps explained on my #3 post the 'traditional' Insyde bios recovery method works.
    I'm using a 16GB USB flash stick formatted into FAT32; only containing the file 'NAV51D2.fd' (you can download it from support.gateway.com/us/en/emac/product/default.aspx?tab=5&modelId=2262).
    A few secs (like 4-5sec) after u release the Fn + Esc (yes, thats the right key combination) i can see the status led on my pendrive blink a bit then i wait about 1min and the computer reboots alone (there isn't any beeps at all), i'm able to upgrade to the latest bios version 1.09 or even downgrade to 1.08 or 1.07 by doing this....
    So with this i can confirm the Insyde bios recovery method exists at some point on this netbooks.

Now back to the bricked computer i can't get this to work, don't know what the hell is wrong... but definetly must be some kind of bug or malfunction.... also i noticed both netbooks aren't exaaaactly the same, the bricked one for example has an atheros wlan card while the other one has a broadcom wlan...

Btw, i was always able to flash both netbooks before with modding an SLIC bios myself, the problem just started when using the 1.09 bios so something on that bios is wrong on some eMachines 350 submodels (lets call them like that, 'submodels').

I started a warranty RMA and i really hope they can fix this without paying anything.

Was it easy to open? and were is the cmos reset thing? i'm about to try this...

9. manonfio

manonfio MDL Novice

May 26, 2011
    well there are 2 ways to find CMOS jumper

1 open Memory Cover and search a "jumper"(2 soldered points) with "CMOS" that is the jumper
    2.- its really easy to open this netbook,was opened before cuz broadcom wifi was replaced by an atheros(need be modificated the wifi card is large than BROADCOM)
    just remove all the screws allocated in the base and under the keyboard thats all, and when you remove the cover U will see the battery.

Tried and dont work for me, TY n_n

10. quetzalin

May 25, 2011
    Done without luck :/ it actually resets the BIOS tho, tried aswell on the working netbook.

11. manonfio

manonfio MDL Novice

May 26, 2011
    ok i got an aprox. cost of the MOBO, here in mexico the cost is around 200 dollars with warranty 1 year better than 300 dollar of tech support from emachines and 3 months of warranty but im still trying to revive this f**** MOBO and no luck the only thing is try the SD CARD boot hoping some luck cuz that is my last resource, btw any knows what is the BIOS chip, where is allocated cuz all i can see is alot of mini chips or at least some number?

12. acenoise1

acenoise1 MDL Novice

May 27, 2011
    #13 acenoise1, May 28, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011
    Has anyone tried the above recovery method with the Suspected Wlan disconnected from the main board yet?

13. v0ltage

v0ltage MDL Novice

May 29, 2011
    Same problem

Hi I have the same problem with my Acer eMachine eM350
    I flashed it with the lastest bios 1.09 and now black screen
    I tried a lot of combinaison, the one that work for Acer aspire one, but nothing worked for me
    I don't know if that can help but when you pull usb drive just half of usb plug and replug it, it's start to flash.. but I think is a power problem...
    Anyway if you guys solved this problem , please post your solution!!
    I will continue to try other solution today
    Thank you,

14. manonfio

manonfio MDL Novice

May 26, 2011
    yea, same here, when i connect an USB kingston 2gb and replug i got a quick flash from status led, but dont work u.u SD CARD dont work for me

15. thepher

thepher MDL Novice

May 29, 2011
    I bricked my em350 with the 1.09 bios when i flashed it ... , ¿ nobody can fix it ?

16. Archimedz

Archimedz MDL Novice

May 30, 2011
    +1 dead em350 with 1.9 Bios, searching for solution.

17. stfox

stfox MDL Novice

May 31, 2011
    #18 stfox, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
    Hi !

it's the same for me with BIOS v1.09, today eMachines remove this version from the site...
    There are a bug in this release....
    I think we should contact the support.

18. quetzalin

May 25, 2011
    Yes!, i just noticed it and was coming here to post the same... so i was definetly right, something is wrong with the 1.09 ...

19. tonsta

tonsta MDL Novice

May 31, 2011
    this really sux, this bios killed all our computers and no one from emachine is helping with the problems. they told me its my fault and they want $120 for repair which includes a motherboard. no way...!!!!