Help with bricked IBM T60

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by dvpatel, May 30, 2010.

1. dvpatel

dvpatel MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    Hi guys. I need urgent help. I seem to have bricked my cousin's T60. I had installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit and was all acvivated with the 7IET34WW modded BIOS that is posted in the 2nd post. Then I found the quoted post with the latest BIOS. I downloaded this rar file and started the BIOS process. I unchecked everying but the Block verify check box as instructed in the first couple of posts and started the BIOS flash. The process seemed to hang while writing out the exisiting BIOS backup file. After a couple of minutes when I didn't get the BIOS backup to work, I killed the winphlash. I must have missed the part where it says I had to be on the same BIOS before flashing. I was on the modded old BIOS and directly tried to flash to the modded latest BIOS. . Now the laptop is dead. It does spin up the CD-ROM. Do I have any hope of flashing back the old modded BIOS and recover the laptop? The recovery instructions above use a USB stick and I don't think this T60 is trying to read a USB stick but it is definitely spinning up the CD ROM.

Please help.

Forgot to mention, I tried the ISO downloaded from the Lenovo site without luck. I get nothing on the screen. The CD ROM spins up and does nothing.

Apparently, I cannot post a link to the post where I found the new BIOS but its at the end of the IBM Bios Mods thread.

2. sparker1

sparker1 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2009
    #2 sparker1, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
    Sorry, to hear it's gone wrong on you. There is a large thread about Bios recovery procedures in this forum. I presume you've been there already? Is your Bios an AMI? This might get you started , It is from laptoppartwholesale (sorry, I can't post links yet):

AMI has an embedded recovery technique in the ‘boot block’ of the BIOS. In the event that the BIOS becomes corrupt the boot block can be used to restore the BIOS to a working state. The routine is called when the ‘system block’ of the BIOS is empty or corrupt. The restore routine when called will access the floppy drive (1.44Mb floppy disk drive) looking for a file named AMIBOOT.ROM.

This is the reason the floppy drive light comes on and the drive appears to be in use. If the file (AMIBOOT.ROM) is found it is loaded into the ‘system block’ of the BIOS to replace the corrupted information.

To restore your BIOS copy the most recent version of your motherboards BIOS file to a floppy diskette and rename it AMIBOOT.ROM. The diskette does not need to be bootable or contain a flash utility. It will access the floppy from 2-5 minutes the system will beep four times. Remove the floppy diskette from the drive and reboot the computer. if when you turn on the system it does not try to access the floppy, press and hold the ‘CTRL’ and ‘HOME’ keys at the same time. This will force the system (assuming the ‘boot block’ isn’t corrupted) to access the flopy and look for the AMIBOOT.ROM file.
    In your case the cdrom might be looking for the file mentioned above (AMIBOOT.ROM)
    Good Luck.

3. dvpatel

dvpatel MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    I have tried everything. USB Stick and Bootable CD ROM without luck. Yen from the BIOS mod thread had some ideas but they didn't work. Any one else have any more ideas? :(