Help with bricked M3970AM-HP Angelica2 motherboard

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Cubex, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Cubex

Cubex MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2013
    While flashing the UEFI BIOS on my HP Angelica2 (M3970AM-MP aka M3970CMNR-HP) motherboard, my PC froze. After waiting a while, I powered it off and rebooted it.
    Now, upon power up, the PC just beeps and flashes 8 times and the monitor screen remains blank.
    According to a HP troubleshooting page, the 8 beeps/flashes mean a corrupt BIOS.
    I have tried clearing the CMOS, which did not make any difference.
    I will much appreciate any ideas or suggestions on how to recover from this.

Thanks!

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  3. Cubex

Cubex MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2013
    Thank you, LatinMcG for your response.

sp60605.exe

This is the embarrassing part. sp60605.exe contains An2_810.rom which from what I found, is AMI v8.10 which is the same as what I had to begin with.
    I, stupidly ran the BIOS update without checking if I was actually updating with a newer verion. :(

I did not know of this combination. I suppose you mean, keeping CTRL + HOME keys pressed, and powering on?
    The motherboard has a BIOS_REC jumper block. Do I need to mess with it?

No idea what this means. This is my first time dealing with the EFI/UEFI world.

H8-1534

No, I used sp60605.exe

Using 7zip on sp60605.exe, I can only find:
    An2_810.rom
    hpprobar3.exe
    Installer.exe
    safuwin.exe
    SP60605.rtf
    Not sure where to get the HPBIOS.ROM from.

I have created HP_TOOLS on a 8GB USB drive. The "Current", "New" & "Previous" folders under Hewlett-Packard\BIOS are empty.

Once again, LatinMcG, I really appreciate you looking into this.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    Hold Ctrl or SHift and drag n drop the An2_ file to make copy.. then rename it.

take Bios REC jumper our if its 2 pin

5. Cubex

Cubex MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2013
    You mean, copy the An2_810.rom to the HP_TOOLS USB drive, under "Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\" "Current", "New" & "Previous"?

The BIOS_REC is a 10 pin block, with 1 missing pin, but only has 1 jumper. With the jumper, upon powering ON, the PC beeps/Yellow flashes 8 times, and then the power LED is normal white. When I remove jumper and power ON, no beeps or flashes,, but no display either.

If I correctly understand the process you're explaining -
    1. Copy the An2_810.rom to the HP_TOOLS USB Drive (under one of the "Current", "New" & "Previous" folders? Do I also rename An2_810.rom to HPBIOS.ROM? or do I need to end up with 2 files, An2_810.com and HPBIOS.ROM ?)
    2. Remove the BIOS_REC jumper.
    3. Power ON after keeping CTRL + Home keys pressed
    4. Let the TOOLS do its thing?

The BIOS_REC Jumper Block
    Angelica2_BIOS_REC.jpg

6. Cubex

Cubex MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2013
    Trying to learn as I go along, so, please bear with me....

Found and downloaded the Phoenix Mod Tool (phoenixtool219.zip) and ran it against An2_810.rom, which shows this is an EFI / Insyde BIOS.
    I don't really know what this means, but does give me something to go with.

Have found the "HP Insyde BIOS recovery steps" Thread in this forum and am reading through it.
    Found posts there saying I should get 'DEC' and 'SIG' files, when I run the xxxxx. rom file through the Phoenix Mod Tool
    I start the tool, load the An2_810.rom bios, select HP from the drop-down. Method is left at default (dynamic)

I can view the BIOS Structure, and see some files created, but no DEC or SIG files.
    Am I missing any steps?

Once again, LatinMcG, Thanks for your help!

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    Not RSA signed.

that guide is for laptops.

try the files in the root of usb?

8. Cubex

Cubex MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2013
    Yes, and still nothing.

I've put HPBIOS.ROM as well as An2_81.rom in the USB Root, in the "Hewlet-Packard" directory, as well as in the "Current", "New" & "Previous" directories. None seem to do anything.
    Powering on without any key presses, as well as keeping CTRL + Home pressed. :(

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    USB SPI Programmer time!