help with crisis recovery method please bios mod for compal ifl90...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by thezman, Nov 9, 2008.

1. thezman

thezman MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2008
    #1 thezman, Nov 9, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
    im trying to flash my compal ifl90 with the modded bios and i see there is a thread on it but no one has responded in a while to it. im hoping someone can help me in the process of using the crisis method. i need help with using the Phoenix_Crisis_Recovery.exe. can someone help me out with this... i dont currently own a usb floppy. is there any way to do this without it. the recovery 2nd step doesnt seem to be able to work without a actual floppy. is there any way to do it with a usb stick instead i have many of them here so i can get them ready to have all one after the other?? any help would be great thank you so much!!! i can order a usb floppy if i have to buy really would never use it for anything but this so i hoped a usb stick would work in its place.

also am i correct that this ifl90 uses a asus slic. and do i still install the asus slic after modding the bios or will vista see that when i sue the asus activation key? thanks

thank you in advance for any help..

2. thezman

thezman MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2008
    arghh can no one help me.. i started the process now all i have is a black screen i need this for work monday and i dont even know where to get a local usb floppy drive ... man even out nearest best buy is like almost an hour from me..

so the usb stick is a no go with crisis??

3. Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2011
    I am lucky enough to live within a short driving distance of Micro Center, so odd "tech" stuff is just an impulse thought away. Good or Bad, I have yet to figure that out. But!!! They have them for around $20.00 and depending on where you are at, they ship same day. Was down their today and end up chatting with a guy who drove 6 hours with a wishlist guiding his way. Place will over power you. Like Newegg mated with Wal-Fart.

Only things I can suggest is start from the top, rereading ALL the advice here. You missed something and re-reading is going to be your best friend right now, short of walking away and revisiting. Then and only then, start with formatting in Fat~(16). Wipe and reformat each time when a change is had for good measure. When you are done with all the documented measure here, start over again but still use Fat~(16) but re-size the usb stick down to a single 512mb or better yet 256mb or 126mb partition with Easeus Partition Master (free cnet site). Maybe wipe drive each time and make sure no hidden files (system files) are hidden by switching the view file to show all files and matching the stick's actual size to what is being displayed in computer. When you have exhausted all these means, then do exactly all of this over but formatting in Fat32. Do not forget your key combo to hold down while powering up. All four arrows at once has been a savior of mine. FN+B, Windows+B, FN+ESC, END, etc. etc... Also do not forget to just let it boot up with no keys held down. Battery in, battery out, A/C in and A/C out, A/C dio w/Battery.

Here are a couple Threads to start with:

Sorry my post count is not above 20 yet, so no links
    Might not pertain to your hardware and I am sure you have lived them, but live them again. Right Click, make sure USB is ready and plugged in and run as Admin with everything.

Just start getting creative and go based on feel after all else fails. I have even had success being frustrated while still holding keys down, no battery in and yanking the A/C out and instantly pluggin back in. Figure you can not really do anything more if recovery is not happening, short of spilling or throwing the device, short of hotflashing the chip on the motherboard I guess. Hotflash~LOL. I de-bricked an Asus Deluxe Pen 4 board once with multiple USB's with a plethora of boot options loaded on them. Have no clue, but got creative and it got fixed.

In a couple weeks you will look back and and realize how much you do not know know, but it will be then. You will start looking for bricked devices and moving on to cell phones and GPS units. Good luck~

Note: The Above Seems to be Applicable to any make, model or brand of laptop. Again, re-reading all the tuts here will become the answer you seek.

4. Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2011
    Sorry my post count is not above 20 yet, so no links. Search site for Bios Recovery, Yada, Yada~I am sure you know.

5. Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2011
    LOL I am a newb. I caught this thread under one I was reading listed as a related topic at the top and I took it as a recent (swear I I had seen today's date) ly posted topic. My Bad! At least it sparked me into doing the register thing LOL!

:eek:+Late Night=Me Right Now with a couple of Irons in da Fire needing fixed in the AM. Hence why I am here right now stealing the great info from these boards for my own selfish gain helping co-workers out on my own time. LOL~