Help with deciding what is the proper setup

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by hewligun, Jan 22, 2013.

1. hewligun

hewligun MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Need some help. I am slightly confused on what to buy here. Below are my options I have come up with.

Essentially whatever option I have will run a mysql server for XBMC, Plex Server (the last option will provide transcoding to other devices. The other 2 options will require me to buy a low powered machine to run XBMC instead.)

before mentioning anything I want to keep in mind I want a solution that is going to be as quiet as possible (whisper quiet. Also the lowest power footprint possible. I dont want an expensive power bill with this project

- Buy a Synology DS412+ or DS1512+ & a raspberry pi or ouya for my playback device
    - Build a low spec’d pc that will be in a similar sized enclosure to run unraid or freenas to achieve the same as above.
    - Build an i5 HTPC in an HTPC case and run w8 and XBMC on an ssd then use w8 with flexraid and run the fileserver (nas) off of this box and in the other rooms use Plex.

Thoughts?

as a note for conversation sake I would prefer to keep cost out of the equation until the best option is selected .

2. hewligun

hewligun MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    anyone? :(