Help with Gateway BIOS recovery

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by chaiilee, Dec 6, 2009.

1. chaiilee

chaiilee MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    Has anyone bricked and successfully recover their Gateway notebook? Playing around with Phoenix BIOS Editor, I bricked my laptop and I need some suggestions for recovery (I've already read the BIOS recovery thread for Phoenix BIOSes). I tried a bootable usb - didn't work, tried a usb floppy - didn't work, and I even took apart my laptop to reset the CMOS battery - didn't work. Are Fn+B/Win+B/Fn+R/Win+R/Fn+Esc/Win+Esc the only key combinations? How do you know if you system is POSTing because I can hear the fan start and see all the lights come on but I see nothing on the screen. PLEASE HELP!!!

2. ortegaluis

ortegaluis MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2009
  3. chaiilee

chaiilee MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    Hey THANKS for the reply! I do have that feature enable yet I'm unable to get any results. What other steps can I take? Will I need to replace the BIOS chip? I've taken out the motherboard yet I can determine which one is the BIOS chip. Any suggestions?

4. chaiilee

chaiilee MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    This was an expensive mistake/mod. I'm going to repalce the motherboard. :(

5. peskypescado

peskypescado MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2011
    Did you ever figure out the key combo to get into recovery mode? I have a Gateway T-1616 with a bad flash that I haven't been able to figure out the key combo to.