Help with HP Probook 4520s ! Please save my laptotp!!

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mazzo84, Nov 2, 2011.

1. mazzo84

mazzo84 MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2011
    My bios update failed, and now I cannot turn on my hp 4520s laptop. Searchin in this forum I find a solution for this problem (but for me didn't work!!!):

1. Get a USB memory stick that is <= 4GB and format it to FAT (FAT16) in windows. (It doesn't work to use a larger memory stick formatted to FAT, or a memory stick formatted to FAT32)
    2. Make this directory structure on the USB memory: \HEWLETT-PACKARD\BIOS\CURRENT\
    3. Download the Softpack with the BIOS update for your system from the HP website. Extract the spxxxxx.exe with winrar or a similar software, or run the program and look in the C:\SWSetup\spxxxxx\Rompaq\ directory for a file called 68XXX.bin (XXX differs on different systems).
    4. Copy 68XXX.bin into the \HEWLETT-PACKARD\BIOS\CURRENT\ directory on the USB memory.
    5. Open the archive C:\SWSetup\spxxxxx\Rom.cab and extract efibios.sig to the \HEWLETT-PACKARD\BIOS\CURRENT\ directory. Rename efibios.sig to 68XXX.sig (replace XXX with the same letters as in your 68XXX.bin).
    6. Insert the USB memory stick into a USB port on your computer. While pressing Win+B, power up the system.
    7. The Caps lock led will flash continously, and the computer will read the file from the USB stick.
    8. In under a minute the system will shut down. Remove the USB stick. The system will power up again and immediatly shut down. The system will power up again, and you will be greeted with a screen that says the your BIOS was recovered.

I tried this method but doesnt work!!! The pc turn on (if i press win + b), and the led on the usb stick flesh for some seconds, but then it stops flashing and i'm quite sure that the notebook wont read what's inside. I've tried different usb, and formatted to fat as said......and did everything , but with no fortune.
    I previously formatted the hard disk, so i dont have hp recovery partition any more, but i think that this is not the main problem.

Hope that someone can help me, i would be immensey grateful :worthy::worthy::worthy: !!!

2. hana

hana MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2008
    you need a usb floppy drive

3. mazzo84

mazzo84 MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2011
    #3 mazzo84, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
    (OP)
    Fortunately I have a usb floppy drive, but the Bios image size (it's a .bin file) is 2,5 mb! How can I put it on a 1,44 mb floppy?

Anyway I think it's an Insyde Bios. After I downloaded the .exe file from Hp website, I unzipped the file, and then I can see other little files (.sig etc etc) and a big file named 68AZZ.bin

I think that 68AZZ.bin is the bios file.

Wait for further help!!

4. mazzo84

mazzo84 MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2011
    Someone can help ???