Help with old hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by cfunk14, Aug 8, 2007.

1. cfunk14

cfunk14 MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2007
    #1 cfunk14, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
    Don't know how much information you need, but here's what I've got:

Toshiba Satellite A 135, Intel Dual Core T2080 (1.73 GHz), 1 gig ram, 80 gig hdd running 32bit Vista Home Premium

External hdd from Compaq presario 700, 20 gig hdd into Thermaltake SilverRiver R2.5 IDE enclosure. Let me know if you need more info

My old XP unit died, and I got a new Toshiba satellite with Vista Home Premium. I bought a HDD enclosure and have access to just about everything from my old hard drive, but before I wipe it clean I am wondering if there is any way to access applications from my old computer, or if I should just transfer the files I want, wipe the hard drive, then put them back on the external for backups?

Also, new problem for anyone who has looked at this before. When I try to eject the drive using Windows' "Safely Remove Hardware" button I get the message that the drive is still being used and I should close any windows or programs using the drive. I close everything and still no good. Any ideas as to how to find what might be accessing the drive?
    Thanks a bunch,

M C

2. cfunk14

cfunk14 MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2007
    Found answer to problem

For anyone having the same problem ejecting an external drive, I found that my AVG antivirus was accessing the drive. I found it by looking in the Task Manager under Processes, which I should have thought of sooner. Anyway, many of the auto protect features of AVG were running twice. So, I turned it off and everything worked like it's supposed to.

Thanks,

MC