Help with Overclocking

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by fadinzr, Apr 11, 2014.

1. fadinzr

fadinzr MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2013
    Hello,

I just learned about overclocking the CPU and make it run faster, for this reason want to learn more about it

and how it works

my motherboard OEM provides a software for overclocking

149xil0.png

2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    What is your cooling and power setup.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. fadinzr

fadinzr MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2013
    where and how can I find these info

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    ouch.

Cooling and power are two rather important things to know with overclocking. Most likely, you are using stock cooling heatsink and fan. When you overclock, things get hotter, sometimes much hotter. You will need to know what type of heatsinks/fans/liquid cooling(ok maybe not that) that fit your motherboard, cpu, memory. Now power is your power supply. Overclocking will draw more power and if the power supply isn't able to handle it, it could cause several problems.

I would suggest a lot of reading on overclocking, basic information and move forward from there. At least before burn your cpu/memory/motherboard/power supply .

5. fadinzr

fadinzr MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2013
    will it make difference with the CPU I have

6. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Yes. Definitely.

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I do not even know if the CPU referred to is overclockable or if that, if by something more than a small %.
    Do read about it and the go ahead.
    Your stock cooler (the one that came with the CPU) is pretty basic (as are all Intel stock CPU) and cannot be relied on for overclocking.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    The E2140 is an excellent candidate to overclock and the G31TM-P31 mobo seems to be good enough to do the job.

With this CPU you may try a somewhat modest overclock even with your stock cooler as far as you don't mess (never ever) with the CPU stock voltage.

In order to do anything beyond that you must know how good (and not only how powerful) is your power supply, to buy a proper cooler and a good thermal compound, and - above all - to learn about hardware.

Overclocking is the best way to fry your hardware, so take it easy and learn before anything else.