Help with recovery

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Lenny, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Lenny

Lenny MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    when I tried to flash my bios something turn out wrong.
    My bios don´t boot up so I tried recovery method to rename bios to amiboot.rom.
    Ctrl+home to force usb to boot, beep 4 times and then it just say: device found. searching file.....
    then nothing happens, what am I doing wrong?
    My motherbord is a msi and bios are ami.

2. openfly

openfly MDL Member

Oct 18, 2009
  3. Lenny

Lenny MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    I build it my self and my mb is MSI GF615M-P33. I tried to flash from a 1.44mb floppy and then my pc don´t boot up
    I have read on Msi´s homepage what to do if you have to recovery but it don´t seems to work.
    My mb don´t cost that much and I have already order a new one.
    But I want to try recovery the bios anyway so all help I can get is more than welcome.......
    mayby someone have more ideas.

4. openfly

openfly MDL Member

Oct 18, 2009
  5. Lenny

Lenny MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    #5 Lenny, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
    (OP)
    sorry if I write wrong It´s a usb stick I tried to recovery from my floppy dont start when I tried ctrl+home.
    When I tried ctrl+home to force booting from fdd floppy (1.44mb) the floppy dont start. it just says:
    please insert usb flash disc with bios file. checking for usb device... device found. searching file...

mayby it has something to do with the m-flash function in bios that mb have?

6. openfly

openfly MDL Member

Oct 18, 2009
    #6 openfly, Dec 27, 2010
    ami bios recovery doesn't reach to screen, that means it usually recovered from blank screen.

I'm wondering you have usb keyboard...

To access boot rom recovery, the mainboard required PS2 keyboard to go Ctrl+Home, not with usb keyboard.
    old floppy disk drive + ps2 type keyboard with Ctrl+Home, should start floppy reading.
    my previous problem was that ami bios recovery always read floppy, but some oem bios can't recovered, blocked. so i did hot flash.

7. Lenny

Lenny MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    Yes I have usb keyboard, I tried a ps2 type but I can´t get the floppy to start.
    I get the same message on the screen:
    "BIOS recovery requested ,starting BIOS Recovery"
    "please insert usb flash disc with bios file."
    "checking for usb device... device found. searching file..."

8. openfly

openfly MDL Member

Oct 18, 2009
    #8 openfly, Dec 27, 2010
    once the messeage show up on the screen, "checking for usb device... device found. searching file..." press Ctrl + HOME on PS2 keyboard, it should reboot and blank screen and ami bios recovery to kick read floopy.
    if it is still same, no reboot, I think the key combination doesn't match on the mainboard.

but I guess this bios recovery has blocked or boot sector damaged, as same as mine before.
    only way is the bios chip replacement.

these message, I guess the mainboard try to recover from usb flash drive. but file name isn't correct or can't find on there.
    "BIOS recovery requested ,starting BIOS Recovery"
    "please insert usb flash disc with bios file."
    "checking for usb device... device found. searching file..."

sorry.