Help with Retail SBS 2003 To OEM

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by pyromanci, Dec 6, 2011.

1. pyromanci

pyromanci MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2011
    Hello,

OK, I have been having a hard time with this. My SBS server is on it's last legs. So we ordered a Proliant DL360 G6. We didn't get the OS because we already had it. So I get the disks out and put the boot disk in the disk drive and turned on the machine. The machine wouldn't boot from the disk. I took it out and it had a large scratch across it's surface along with 2 of the other disks. The CD is a OEM disk we purchased from TigerDirect some years ago and the current server is a custom build. So I downloaded some SBSR2 disks which of course were retail disks (I could not find any OEM ones to download any where).

Now I've gone in and modified setupp.ini and changed the pid in the setupp.ini to 74995OEM. The full PID on the current machine is XXXXX-OEM-4212804-80967.

Now is the point where i'm lost and having trouble making sense of some of the posts on here. From here i know I'm supoose to change the winnt.sif file, but I can't seem to locate in on the disk anywhere.

I also believe i'm suppose to replace the pidgen.dll, oembios.bin, oembios.dat, oembios.sig, and oembios.cat files, Should i replacement them with ones on my current server?

I was hoping to find a sticky or some tutorial on what to but i can't seem to. Would anyone be so kind to get me going from here. I would really like to get our new server up before the old one dies. Thank you.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    You only replace the dll if you start with VL media

For Retail no change (apart from setupp.ini ) is needed

Ofcourse you need:

oembios.* set - you can either rebuild the iso with correct string for your Mobo (easiest is to tatoo mobo with Hewlett-Packard & use Server 2003 HP set)

sebus