Help with strange issue with 2 HP Compaq Elite Small Form Factor PC's

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Droner58, May 1, 2016.

1. Droner58

Droner58 MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2016
    Hi there, I'm a newbie and this is my first post so please let me know if I'm posting in correct spot?

I have 2 older HP Compaq Elite Small Form Factor desktops running Win 10. Both are connected to my network via ethernet cables and share 1 HP monitor. I leave them on 24/7. Here's my problem. After being idle for a certain amount of time (typically overnight) , one of them completely locks up and needs to be hard booted. The other loses connection to the network and needs the Network Adapter disconnected, then reconnected to establish the connection. They both experience the same behavior each time. I'm a total loss at to what the cause could be? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

2. nx9420

nx9420 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    #2 nx9420, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    This could help you, not a huge lot of reading but once you manage to get around WPR it could be life changer :worthy: troubleshooting a bunch of other stuff (including battery life in laptops/ultrabooks/tablets)
    h!!ps://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn926873(v=vs.85).aspx

3. Ricardo41

Ricardo41 MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Hello,
    please see the setting in properties for your ethernet adapter- energy saving etc..
    if it freezes, it could be many things, heat, software or ram

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    time for eventviewer .. or bluescreenview

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Try disabling the power saving features on the lan cards using the device manager.

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Has this been happening from the beginning or is it a new occurrence? If it's new all of a sudden, either somebody changed something or a component has failed. It's it's from the very beginning it could be any number of incompatibilities. I'd start with making sure the LAN cards are never allowed to "save power". After that, if no joy, you going to have to start eliminating possibilities one at a time to see what fixes the problem.

How were the two computers operating in their old roles? If they were flawed then that is maybe just continuing. If they operated fine, but now are failing, I'd suspect your new setup has settings, hardware or both that aren't compatible somehow.

7. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Why newbie post things here, ask question, ask help, and they never bother to answer? Not even a thank you.

Not the first time i see this.

Lievre

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Droner58

Droner58 MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2016
    Sorry for not responding sooner, but have been busy moving house this week, posted question just after I set up the machines at new house and noticed same behavior. Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions. I will try them out and get back with the results. Cheers,

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I understand getting caught up in major, or even minor, activities. Especially those involving family and such. That being said, people are genuinely trying to help you and you need to respect their time and efforts. If it wasn't a good time for you to work on your problem, and involve members of this forum, maybe we all would have been better served by you waiting until you did have time to dedicate to your posted problem. We all have lives too you know.