HELP with VMWare 9.0 and Windows Server R2 SP1

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by JosPhantasmE, Sep 20, 2012.

1. JosPhantasmE

JosPhantasmE MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2012
    Hi Guys, and is a pleasure to be here.

I'm new and trying to learn about virtualization and everything, it's been great since I've learned a lot but I'm having this problem, that is killing me.

I have installed Windows Server R2 SP1 using VMWare Workstation 9.0.0 build-812388 and I can't activate the product (Windows).

I know this might be simple, but I have no idea of what's going on or how to fix it. I read something about modified vmware.exe files and etc, but I have no clue of how to do that.

Can anybody guide me to the right path.

Thanks.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Start by reading this

3. JosPhantasmE

JosPhantasmE MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2012
    Thanks for helping, is there like something for new people, because I honestly don't understand a word of what that said.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Honestly, if you read & do not understand then maybe it is just not for you?

What is difficult?

Server 08/R2/Win7 offline (OEM) activation = SLIC 2.1 (in BIOS or emulated) + OEM SLP key + certificate that matches the SLIC 2.1

Same for physical computer & virtual machine

So you either use Daz loader in VM or mod the BIOS of Workstation x.x

Use the pointed tool to mod "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx.exe"

If you can not do that, then search for a modded version of the BIOS or give up

sebus

5. JosPhantasmE

JosPhantasmE MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2012
    Thank you very much, I figured it out. :D

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Well done, it was not too difficult?

7. JosPhantasmE

JosPhantasmE MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2012
    It was not, even though reading this now, I do not appreciate how you told me to give up... But thanks everything worked out for the best.