Help with Win 8.1...don't know where else to turn

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by 4cstr, Jul 21, 2014.

1. 4cstr

4cstr MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2014
    Here is the nuts and bolts of my system:

graphics card: AMD Radeon 7400M, date of last driver install 6/20/2014
    Monitor: Dell S2340M
    Processor: AMD A8-5500

Issue: I can be cruising along on the computer when the screen suddenly will go black, and when it comes back my screen resolution is all messed up. If I right click on the background, select screen resolution, it says "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" If I click detect, it will go blank, then come back with my correct resolution (1920 x 1080) and says "Dell S2340M(Analog). I have updated all the latest drivers for the graphics card and monitor, and it still does it. I have done a monitor calibration as well. Single monitor setup.

We bought our computer from Best Buy, and I had one of their Geek Squad members remote into my computer and she was watching the screen on her end, and sure enough, it did it. Another member spent a couple of hours in my machine double checking all the settings, the drivers, etc, and his only recommendation was to bring my machine back in and have them roll it back to 8.0. Which, I never had this issue with Windows 8.0.

I joined a Microsoft forum and laid this all out for them also. Crickets...nothing but crickets.

I can't believe I am the only person in the world that is having this issue, but doing a google search gets me nowhere. I shouldn't say that...it lead me here. I am just hoping somebody here has some idea on what I need to do to fix this. It gets awfully annoying when I am in the middle of a Photoshop project and the screen resolution begins to jump around.

Thanks in advance!

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #2 PaulDesmond, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    check bios (up)date

3. kvn864

kvn864 MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2012
    try to find step or two back of the video driver version. if windows 8 was fine, its not a hardware issue. maybe a monitor does it? can you replace with a spare for a day or two?

4. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    SeveraL dells that i take care are (very touchy) on DELL Drivers and Windows 8.1- my solution was delete the DRIVER that you currently have installed....
    Reboot and M$ will install a GENERIC Driver for it.... that solved all my DELL Display issues... currently I have 5 Dells with Windows 8.1 that i care for....
    PS: other Driver solutions also never fixed just made worse... FOR Win8.1 & up1 drivers use M$ on DELLS

5. 4cstr

4cstr MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2014
    Paul...near as I can tell the Bios date is 9/17/12. I only know enough to make me dangerous so i don't know if that is the BIOS manufacture date, or update date. I have never updated a BIOS before, so not sure how to go about it.

Kvn...I do not have a spare monitor to test it with. I have thought of that as well.

Snuffy...so are you saying I should delete the current Dell driver, reboot and let M$ install the driver it wishes? I am willing to try just about anything right now.

Dave

6. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Try Snuffys sugestion first :cool2:. Then see further... :g:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. 4cstr

4cstr MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2014
    No love. Did as suggested and monitor still changes resolution.

8. devans123

devans123 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    Try changing your Monitor to PC connection ie, VGA, DVI, HDMI.

9. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Yes, I was going to suggest the same thing! Your using VGA which is analog. Try DVI or HDMI instead.
    You only have the 1 data cable plugged into the monitor right?

Are you using onboard video? Try newer drivers...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. 4cstr

4cstr MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2014
    I live in a little town, and nobody carries a DVI cord. I just ordered one online and hopefully it will be here by the end of the week.

11. maffemuis

maffemuis MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2014
    test the monitor on an other PC

12. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Uninstall one of the graphic adapters you have at the 'Device management'.

13. Windows user

Windows user MDL Senior Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Try removing the Graphics card & connect the monitor to the onboard video & see if the problem exists, this might be a graphics card issue

14. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Just re-install Windows 8.1 and official DELL drivers and you'll be fine. :cool:

This is probably caused by a faulty system configuration. Those BBuy "geek" guys suck anyway. They don't know what they're talking about, half the time.

Could you please tell us the exact model of your computer?

15. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    #15 Wazoo, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  16. 4cstr

4cstr MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2014
    Since I can't post up a screen capture, it is an ASUS CM1745 Desktop.

That is what I have for a graphic card.

I did some looking on the ASUS site, and there is a BIOS update for my model. I downloaded it, but I do not know how to install a .CAP file.

At the device manager, it only lists the AMD graphic card.

When you say connect to onboard video...I don't know what you are referring to or how to do that. I am a weather geek at heart.

I went and reinstalled the Dell monitor driver. It was switching more when I deleted it and let the M$ driver to its thing. At least now I can go for a bit before it changes.

Thanks bunches so far. I really do appreciate it.

Dave

17. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    I experience the same issue with my desktop PC and radeon 7850. Sometimes the screen wont turn on and i have to disconnect dvi cable to get it working again. Seems to be driver related.

18. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Look for another video connection like the one your monitor cable is currently plugged into. I may be located in a cluster of other connectors and possibly near where your power cord attaches to the rear of the computer. If you have that other video connection, turn the PC off, then move the monitor cable to that other connector and restart the PC.

19. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    #19 Wazoo, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    ASUS CM1745 Rear Panel.jpg
    Item 4 On-board video
    Item 11 (or similar) if installed is graphics card

Illustration from "CM1745 User's Manual (English) - Version E8176"

20. 4cstr

4cstr MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2014
    Wazoo...that doesn't look exactly like the rear...but close. The DVI slot is up next to #4. Which...when the monitor is plugged into #4...the monitor remains blank. No picture. I have to have the VGA cord plugged into #11 in order to work.