Help with windows 8-What has gone wrong????

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by tinux, Nov 24, 2012.

1. tinux

tinux MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Hi guys
    I need your help please:

I have a UEFI mobo

I used RecImg via CMD and created a CustomRefresh.Wim for future backups in case things went wrong.
    Here what i am puzzlled at

I renamed the CustomRefresh.wim ----install .wim and added it to the source of windows8 pro and decided to install it to a fresh partition to test it.

My earlier install was fresh install of win8 pro via key activated it via KMS then applied WMC key from M$ which is running smoothly.
    Now when i tried to install again using my custom Wim.
    I get the screen asking for key
    When i entered the first key i used at point one it did not accept it so i used another and another and none worked.
    When i used my M$ WMC key it comes back saying that the key is for adds on only.

So How do I over come this?

2nd question

I used the same install.wim(custom) and applied it to my new new partition using GimageX process took 30 minutes and went fine so now i have a second fresh windows but i can not boot it
    I used under cmd
    bcdboot c:\windows /s H: (my new partition) /f
    no error but still no boot
    I put in a windows DVD and applied automatic repair no luck either
    So how do i add this new partition to my UEFI boot manager?

Many thanks

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #2 Shenj, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    You arent actually supposed to use that image for a fresh install... it's designed for Reset feature which might work a little bit different. But what you are doing is not officially supported.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    can you use EasyBCD to point your new installation and add a boot entry. and did you try with ei.cfg in source while installing it in the clean way?

4. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
    here u didn't mark the partition u applied the image as active... hence it won't boot no matter which tool u use to edit BCD

5. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Yeah, but it would be really cool if we could figure out how to make it work. Maybe not with WMC but for Pro with all of your apps installed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. tinux

tinux MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2012
    #6 tinux, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
    (OP)
    No i did not try with ei.cfg i thought about it , will give it a go first where do i get one from? can i use my own?
    I also tried easyBCD v2.2 it worked but when selecting the new partition the screen stayed blank as if the partition was not activated.

I am using Gpt drive and i thought that as long as EFi partition is active that is enough

7. tinux

tinux MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2012
    added ei.cfg to sources
    -------------
    -------------
    but not luck

8. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
    the ei.cfg u added will force the system to install core version of windows remove the edition id part to choose the edition as there are no ways accept retail to activate core edition

9. tinux

tinux MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2012
    #9 tinux, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
    (OP)
    opps sorry did not notice core. anyway i changed it but same issue

I get
    the product key entered does not match any windows images available use different key and installation gets cancelled no room to edit anything
    so i deleted it and got a room to place key and same issue it would not accept any key.

So my best way is to use second method but how do i Boot it? ie how do i add it to bootmanager in UEFi platform

Update
    strange
    I clicked on resume install and it asked me what to do
    1- to resume
    2- to start all over so i've chosen 2 and it accepted the key

Still did not install as it did not allow to install in separate partition
    I used Pe to do the trick and apply the wim via imageX and then
    in cmd
    I typed (my new drive letter=T) BCd T: \windows
    checked with BCDedit and the entry was there.
    After that windows show up with partitions .only the custom one failed to boot so the project failed
    ie Using CustomReflesh image to restore windows failed.

Thanks anyway .