Help with "Windows cannot find" and "ShellExecuteEx failed"

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by canary67, Mar 21, 2010.

1. canary67

canary67 MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2010
    Newbie here,

System info: Acer Aspire 6930 running Vista Home Premium 2007

Problem: Got a virus but I can surf the internet and do standard functions. I download fix after fix but cannot run the exe files to repair viral problems.

Issue: When I try to open most (not all) icons or exe files I am prompted with "Windows cannot find 'xxx'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." I have tried to Open as Administrator but get the same prompt. After downloading each fix that I find on the internet, I click on the repair exe files and get, "ShellExecuteEx failed, code 2. The system cannot find the file specified." I have tried to open Regedit.exe but get the same result.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated!

thanks

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Get Avast 5 anti-virus. Do a boot time virus scan. This scans entire system before OS loads and gets rid of any nasties. Once your virus is gone open command prompt as administrator and type "sfc scannow". This will check for corrupted system files and repair them. Hopefully this will sort things out for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. canary67

canary67 MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2010
    alextheg,

thanks for the quick response and solution...will try this and get back to you in the coming days.

4. canary67

canary67 MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2010
    alextheg,
    just downloaded Avast 5 and double clicked on the exe file but again got the same result of "Windows cannot find...." I even tried to open as administrator. also, you mentioned doing a boot time virus scan...I'm a little unclear: did you mean that i should run the Avast 5 then within my PC, setup a bootup virus scan? or is the boot time virus scan part of the Avast software workings?

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  6. melntedski

melntedski MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2010
    i am having the exact same problem! someone please help :-/

7. melntedski

melntedski MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2010
    anyone who could help me please write me.

8. sunstar

sunstar MDL Junior Member

Jun 29, 2013
    You can run via .bat files

run regedit via bat file and fix your .exe extension problem