Help With Windows Explorer Closing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by CraigB, Jan 21, 2008.

1. CraigB

CraigB MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2008
    Windows Explorer keeps closing and restarting when opening and closing folders. Have tried to download and install KB938979 but it it will not install. Have only had this machine for 2 days and feel like taking it back. Can anybody point me in the right direction to get this sorted.

2. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    don't know if this just started..or its been happening for last two days and you just now asking about it...but sometimes a 'firewall' or 'anti-virus' program that isn't configured right will close a 'explorer window' (treat is like malware or spyware)...not sure what KB938979 has to do with your 'explorer window' closing...since that is a 'performace update' via windows update.

3. minimi

minimi MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2008
    my easy solution

Hope it is ok now.

If not, i had the same problem, tried a lot of thing. then finnaly i did a syster restore (from a point when it worked) and now everityhin si working smootly

Good luck

4. Marc Stephen

Marc Stephen MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2013
    Hi Craig,

This could be the result of corrupted system file or corrupted registry. CCleaner could be helpful to check for registry errors and there are certain software available to check system files for errors. Windows itself has a built in system to do so but I find it less helpful but off course this could be worth trying at least once. If you find the problems in the registry then you might be cautious in doing any modification as faulty movement could cause a complete system failure. If you are okay then it is better to install a fresh copy of windows. Here is a link for you which might be helpful to have a try: techyv.com/questions/windows-explorer-error-message-when-so-many-windows-are-open