Help with XP install

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by sastek, Oct 20, 2010.

1. sastek

sastek MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2010
    #1 sastek, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
    Hi all, this is my first post so please excuse any stupidity on my part.

Here is my problem that I need help with. I have a full OEM CD of XP Pro sp1 that I used to have on an old unbranded PC (which is now in long term storage) I want to put this XP on to another computer but my problem is that the key is on a label attached to the old PC. As I cannot get access to the old PC I want to know what my options are.

I have run the OEMBIOS tool on the new PC and it does not show any OEM SLP strings.

Edited to add - I don't remember who the OEM of the original PC was and it has no labelling.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #2 urie, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    You should download HP DMI boot cd from stickies and add HP string to DMI area, Then make HP OEM cd. or download it. all information is available on stickies.

3. sastek

sastek MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2010
    #3 sastek, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
    (OP)
    Thanks for the reply. I found a bios upgrade for the PC which included SLP support, so now I have the 2 Dell SLP keys in Bios.

Just to double check, can I use my current OEM XP Pro (SP1a) CD and just change the 4 OEMBois files or do I need to start with retail or VLC XP SP3?

4. sastek

sastek MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2010
    Just figured out that since I have already installed XP all I had to do was replace the 4 x OEMBIOS files on the C drive with the correct ones for OEM Dell (in safe mode) all is working fine now.

Thanks for the assistance, I can see me visiting this site a lot :D

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    That what oembios changer is for...

sebus