Help with XPS 15 9550 Touchpad Drivers

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lifehags, Feb 14, 2017.

1. lifehags

lifehags MDL Member

Feb 26, 2014
    I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, so if it isn't, I'm sorry. I'm having a driver problem with Windows precision touchpad drivers. The drivers basically refuse to work when I2C HID device is enabled. I have got the touchpad to work with the Dell Synaptics drivers for the XPS 13, so I know it's not a hardware problem. Any help to get the windows PTP drivers working is appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. lifehags

lifehags MDL Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Tried it, and updated my drivers, touchpad still not working :(.

3. glennsamuel32

glennsamuel32 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2012
    It says a lot...the device is not loading...
    Looks like there's a driver incompatibility...
    Hope you're using the correct drivers from Dell...
    Haven't heard of Dell shipping out drivers that don't work...
    Is this an untouched Win 10 ?

4. lifehags

lifehags MDL Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Yeah, when I first got it it wasn't working on dells bloatware windows, what do you mean by untouched? I'm on a clean install currently.

5. lifehags

lifehags MDL Member

Feb 26, 2014
    The serial IO driver from the dell drivers website doesn't seem to do anything after installing it. I'm pretty sure that's the driver for I2C HID device.

6. lifehags

lifehags MDL Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Huh, the touchpad doesn't work in the ubuntu live USB. Is there a way to force replace the I2C device driver from the live usb or something?

7. glennsamuel32

Jul 15, 2012
    Why don't you try the "Automatically Detect Drivers" on the Dell driver website, instead of cherry-picking certain drivers...
    Since you mentioned the hardware works with older drivers, try installing what Dell deems best...
    You didn't reply back if the OS came from Dell or it's something you installed on your own...

8. lifehags

lifehags MDL Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Whoops sorry, I'm on a fresh install of windows downloaded from the windows media creation tool, so yup I installed windows on my own.

9. glennsamuel32

Jul 15, 2012
    To re-iterate my last post, my Sager laptop comes with a modified version of Sound Blaster...
    If I update it to the latest released version, it doesn't work...
    That's why, sometimes it's best to stick with the OEM recommended drivers...

10. lifehags

lifehags MDL Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Tried the Dell auto detect, it only found an update for the intel rapid storage and console driver. So no luck :(.

11. lifehags

lifehags MDL Member

Feb 26, 2014
    I see, that's a good point. The thing is that my touchpad never worked in the first place when I just got my laptop, until I switched to some old dell synaptics drivers. Which is weird, since the preinstalled drivers in windows is what the touchpad is supposed to use.

12. glennsamuel32

Jul 15, 2012
    And can you post a screenshot of the device manager with that device expanded...
    And list the Hardware id's of that device...

13. lifehags

lifehags MDL Member

Feb 26, 2014