Here's what I don't like about Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by JBenal, Jul 12, 2015.

1. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I'm setting up a new laptop and I installed 10162. Runs fine, but I hate Modern/Metro. On my current Windows 8.1 box I haven't seen the Modern start screen for months. It's just a waste of space on my hard drive. But with Windows 10 it seems that Modern is unavoidable. Some things can only be done with a Modern app - settings comes to mind. With 8.1 and Start8 I can avoid Modern altogether. Is there a way to run Windows 10 and never see the Modern UI?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    You can edit the Start Menu.
    There is not Start Screen in Windows 10.

3. MrAnalysis

MrAnalysis MDL Senior Member

Aug 4, 2012
    For me my biggest hate is onedrive. Disable it and it stuffs things up. Same with a few others things like cortana.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Nope but one thing I like about 10 is that they no longer call it "modern" anymore ;) What a pretentious name for something which is less functional generally.

5. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Onedrive is fine in 10 as compared to 8. Just choose to sync no folders and it pretty much does nothing.

6. damianfox

damianfox MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes you can avoid the Windows 10 new Start Menu I do, Install Start10 by Stardock

7. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    I dont like the new KMS thing

8. Zardoc

Zardoc MDL Addicted

Feb 7, 2008
    :tea:
    You can you use Start8 if you paid for it.

9. damianfox

damianfox MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah i was a sucker and bought two Start10's lol :D

10. labvxe

labvxe MDL Expert

Mar 24, 2015
    Have cracked torrent :)
    Worked fine on my windows 8.1 machine :D

11. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    It seems to me that Windows 10 make more use of - and forces you to use - Modern UI Apps (whatever they are called now) than Windows 8, where you can completely ignore the Modern Apps if you want to. I'm thinking that MS will gradually make more use of the Modern side and eliminate the "desktop" apps eventually. I don't think there's a "desktop" version of Windows Update in Windows 10, is there?

12. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    could you fellas tell me

is windows 10 a lot like windows 7, or very much unlike windows 7?

what does windows 10 have to offer to windows 7 users?

13. MrAnalysis

MrAnalysis MDL Senior Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Far to much to list. Longer life cycle, will be better/more up to date driver support, directx, startup speed, operating system speed, security, apps etc etc loads of stuff. There will be allot of "modern UI" apps getting made that you just won't be able to use on Windows 7 also. Your missing out :p In a while Windows 7 will be like Windows XP is now.

14. drohm

drohm MDL Novice

May 4, 2014
    This. I've been using it since they released the beta.

15. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
  16. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Things I hate the most about 10 but fixable:
    - Remove/kill "Onedrive" from tray and explorer: - got rid of it, fixed!
    - Remove Homegriup icon on explorer : - got rid of it, fixed!
    - Remove QuickAccess from explorer: - got rid of it, fixed!
    - Remove Cortana and kill it completely: - got rid of it, fixed!
    - Remove useless apps from Start menu/ then them off and uninstall them: - checked and done!
    some other minor fixes.. done!

Now it can be a workable OS without all that crap...

17. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    What I don't like about Windows 10:

I don't have RTM yet

18. geddeeee

geddeeee MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2008
    Seriously???

Of course there is a desktop version of Windows Update...

Unbelievable!!!

19. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Not so much what I don't like, but it seems to Me that Windows 10 is made for tablets and touch computers.
    I have three desktops, so, to Me, it seems that I would lose out on all of the functionality meant for touch.

Of course, this may not be true. With that said, I'll reserve my opinions for the RTM (Whenever that is :whistling:)

In my past experiences with Windows, Any time Microsoft came up with UI thing that was not liked or quirky, someone pretty much always came up with a fix, whether it was a registry tweak or a replacement COM server.

So, keep a lookout for something cool. You never know where it's going to come from. :)

:MJ

20. FatalIll

FatalIll MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2015
    Can you share how you did all of that?