Hesitant to Install 7 Just Yet. Need some advice!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by littledebbie, Oct 11, 2009.

1. littledebbie

littledebbie MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Hey guys. Thanks to a very generous person on these boards, and my University, I have a few legitimate keys for Windows 7 Professional which I would like to install on my laptop and PC...but I am still a little hesitant. Here is why.

My Internet Security software (Kaspersky Internet Security 2010) is not going to support Windows 7 until around the release date. I spent good money on a license, and I do not want my computer connected to the internet without protection. I kind of do not want to install other antivirus trials just because I do not want to go through the pain of removing them and still have little bits and pieces of it left. I do not want it affecting my eventual install of Kaspersky.

My second concern is this: Are a lot of the main programs supported? Can I install Firefox and Winamp and AIM? Are they compatible with Windows 7..or will they also be releasing special versions?

What do you think I should do?

Thank you so much!

2. henryy.

henryy. MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    I use KIS2010 on windows 7, no problems :) Everything is pretty much compatible now. Just upgrade:)

3. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Get rid of Kapersky...The rest is a crapshoot:D:D

Supposedly the transition from Vista to W7 will be smooth, with softwares getting compatibility updates if necessary. I have heard little about these problem as of yet..

I use XP....:D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. littledebbie

littledebbie MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    well I know that they will install and update and everything, but they have said that Kaspersky is not supporting Windows 7, so if I install it before they say it is compatible, I'm "on my own"...I do not want to get a virus

5. Lawk

Lawk MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2009
    Excuse me but, the times of pre SP1-SP3 Windows XP are over, I claim that, for the most part, Internet Security applications are overrated, Vista and 7, come with the Windows firewall which does a decent job, then all you need is some Antivirus, although that is optional too since, im aware of the sites I visit and can tell when a Site is not legit....

6. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    KIS2010 on windows 7 work fine. Firefox and Winamp run fine on windows 7 as well. I do not know about AIM but give AIM 7.0 a try.

7. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    You'll be ok with KIS2010 it works fine already tested it. If you get Win 7 Pro Or Ultimate you can add XP mode if your processor supports the virtual mode.

8. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    If you want to do without Anti-Virus that's fine, but don't try to pass it off as something that's not necessary. Even if you have the app that tells you if a site is not "legit" you can still pick up malware.

9. Besstheone

Besstheone MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2009
    there is no official support to win 7 from kaspersky till now but it work well, if u need a temporal protection Comodo internet security meet your needs.

10. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Since when does the windows firewall do a 'decent' job.

Last time i checked it failed each and every leak test and was therefore rated Points:0 / Protection:0

As for a good firewall; i recommend Comodo. Its a full-featured enterprise grade firewall, yet free because Comodo makes their money with certificates and other corporate stuff. And unlike the windows 'firewall' (which is practically not worthy of the description) Comodo passes the leak tests too.

As for antivirus; if youre not exactly in the habit of downloading each and every 0day file you can get your hands on then the free versions of AntiVir or AVG will do you just fine. Comodo has an anti virus feature too, but it isnt quite there yet and still gives many false positives. (Not so long ago it was still a beta.) It might become a usable alternative in a year or two but until then i would not recommend to use it.

(I myself use Comodo in combination with AntiVir and have no reasons to complain.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. johnalvin

johnalvin MDL Bios Modder

Sep 3, 2007
    you can pm me some of those few and i will test it for you :D, just kidding. :D

you can test it by yourself, just download ms virtual pc, install it, then install win7 there, you can test all software you like.:)

12. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    install win 7

you could even install Microsoft security essentials its free,i'm using it ,and it seems ok, you can easily uninstall later if you want,you could use a free ware uninstaller if your worried about so called bits left over ,or download 'Microsoft install clean up',which does a good job of removing everything that may be left over.

13. silvergate

silvergate MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    best

given your situation the best option are keep the key to yourself and wait for the proper time or share or give the key to your friends here at MDL. why?

1. your the type who doesn't want install-reinstall. stick to whats working.

2. your antivirus which does NOT OFFICIALLY supports windows 7. I always say to my friends not to use security products which doesnt officially support the OS. save your time and resources installing unsupported security apps in an OS. yeah it may run but your not knowledgable enough to say if the antivirus does really protect your unsupported OS. If the people at kaspersky said it wont support win7, trust them. they are more knowledgeable in their products than user's opinions.

3. stick to your old OS as long as your happy with it. if not buy a 2nd cheap pc or laptop and install there.

trust your instincts. win7 is the greatest product IMO by microsoft but in real corporate world, stick to whats working for you. It is called reliability. reliability equals productivity.

cheers.

PS: Almost all vista programs can be run in windows 7.

just be careful in Security and system utilities apps. always use that officially supports the OS. (advise: dont use system mechanic even if it says it supports win7, its a crap in my test. it cant even detect my antivirus and firewall properly, just a sidenote)

14. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    KIS 2010 Works fine in 7

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 V 9.0.0.463 works great in Windows 7.

You can install 7 and Kaspersky with confidence - I've been using these since the RTM of 7 became available some months ago - no problems.

15. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    I do NOT agree with silvergate. M$ would not have Kaspersky on there Anti-Virus/Security apps if they did not support it. And KIS 2010 works FINE no issues at all.

16. silvergate

silvergate MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #17 silvergate, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
    im sorry but the kaspersky product your mentioning that will support officially windows 7 is Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Windows Workstation 6.0 Maintenance Pack 4. It is not the 2009 or 2010 versions. they are different products. the only kaspersky product that supports OFFICIALLY win 7 is a new product not yet available in retail and in testing.

you can also ask kaspersky directly about this matter. their support told me before that prior versions of kaspersky wont officially support win7. they are releasing a new product specifically for win7.

cheers

ps: edit

looks like kaspersky will release an update to 2010 versions during the launch of windows 7. its funny because i phoned them before and the guy told me that kaspersky 2009 and 2010 wont support win7 thats why i went to norton 2010 after my family's av expired. my bad.

17. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    Original poster was talking about KIS 2010. I have installed KIS 2010 and it works perfectly fine no issues with firewalls or anything of that nature. And as you see others have it installed as well and they have no issues either.

18. silvergate

silvergate MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    his problem specifically is that KIS 2010 doesnt officially support win7 at this time so he is hesitant to install it. it runs flawlessly like others have stated but he wants an officially supported product. and judging by his post, he isnt the experimental guy who likes to install and reinstall just like us. he is a typical pc user..

i didnt renew kaspersky in our house because of what their CS told me before that 2009 and 2010 wont officially for win7. so i opted to the new and improved norton. sigh kaspersky. ill try to phone kaspersky when ill be back home.

19. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    It's been known for quite sometime KIS 2010 was going to be "officially" supported and the closer we get to the 22nd the more you will be seeing other products "officially" supported.

Honestly i could care less if it's "officially" supported, as long as there are no issues with it that is all i care about. Now if it's crashing or anything like that then of course i would not have it on my pc.