Hewlett-Packard notebook request bios mod SLIC2.1 for win7 activation

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by stripling, Oct 30, 2009.

1. stripling

stripling MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2009
  2. amiskell

amiskell MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    #2 amiskell, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    The C717NR uses the same BIOS (Insyde) as the C714NR (alot of the C71x model laptops are basically the same machine just with different preinstalled options), there's already an updated BIOS for it.

I can't post links because I'm a new member, but check page 43 in the thread "finally a method to modify Insyde bios?!" it's post 434.

It says C714NR, but if you check on HP's website for the C717NR and C714NR for the latest BIOS it's the same SoftPaq number meaning it's the same file. (The only difference between the the 714 and 717 is you have a card reader, a different mouse, and smaller hard drive.)

Make sure you flash from DOS (make a bootable DOS flash drive, I used the KillDisk bootable USB maker), I tried to flash from Windows on my mother's C714NR and had problems turning the laptop on until I reflashed from DOS.

3. stripling

stripling MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2009
    Great. I will have try.

By the way, do you guys know the difference between Bios modes activation method and loader method? I mean if a loader can active Win7, Why bother to update bios with a such Tremendous Risk?

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Read the stickies, and how the loaders are deactivated with WOW....:eek::eek:

This has been discussed and explained ad nauseum in the threads and forums..

There is not a tremendous risk with the bios mods (there is risk even with factory bios flash), it has been greatly mitigated by the tools, and was very low when we were doing manual mods..

If you are uncomfortable with bios flashing, by all means use a loader, they are very safe, although you may be reinstalling with SPack. We may see bios mods inactivated also, sooooo.........???????

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. amiskell

amiskell MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
  6. stripling

stripling MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2009
    Thank you very much! Actually I successfully flash bio into SLIC 2.1 from vista and now I have genuine window 7 in my notebook.