Hidden Partition Question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MisterEd, Feb 18, 2010.

1. MisterEd

MisterEd MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    I know it can be removed (I already have) but my question is simply:
    "Other the the wasted space does this partition create any problems? I'm running Ultimate 64bit.

Is there any ADVANTAGE (other then getting back a minscule 100megs) to remove it?

Is there any advantage to keeping it?

WITHOUT it does it affect the offset? I am running 2 x 128GIG SSD's in Raid 0.

2. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    It is required only if you use BitLocker Drive Encryption.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MisterEd

MisterEd MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    I fully understand that, but is there any DOWNSIDE to keeping it (if you don't use bitlocker)? Does it cause an negative effects to a WIN7 install other then wasting 100megs?

4. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Why woukd it do that ?

Its just an empty 100MB partition, it cant do anything..

5. MisterEd

MisterEd MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    It is definitely NOT empty. If it exists it becomes the boot partition for Windows. If it exists it also contains the recovery environment.

Again, my question is: Can this partition cause any negative effects on a Win 7 installation or conversely can it cause any positive effects.

6. carbuck

carbuck MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2010
    Your original post states that you've already removed the partition...

Have you had any negative effects??

If it doesn't exist, then obviously you don't need it to boot, and you've already stated that it contains the recovery environment, so you've lost that.

If Windows still boots, runs and performs the same, its probably cool.

7. MisterEd

MisterEd MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    I appreciate all the knowledgeable answers I have been receiving, however the fact I removed the partition and know what it contained still doesn't answer my question of what effects it may or may not have on the use of the system. I only removed it "because I could."

Again, my question is: Can this partition (or lack of same) cause any negative effects on a Win 7 installation or conversely can it cause any positive effects. The fact my system works doesn't really answer my question.

Negative effects = things like slower booting with SSD drives
    Positive effects = things like faster booting with SSD drives

I acknowledge I have removed it a week ago and it has the recovery environment in it and I don't use Bitlocker.

8. xequios

xequios MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2010
    There will be no negative effects if it is removed correctly.

9. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    When I installed to a non partitioned SSD Windows did not create the 100 MB partition - don't know why - I just let it do what it wanted to do with the free space.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Stormcrow

Stormcrow MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    The only ADVANTAGE is to gain 100 megs, as you say.

Downsides: Probably none, untill you discover a need in the future...

I see it this way: Windows was designed to install this way. The reasons may or may not be clear. Why screw with it? What is the gain? 100MB? Let it be. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

--
    SC

11. Hammer7

Hammer7 MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2009
    +1000000 Too much talk about 100megs in the TB era...

12. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    IMHO, I like the hidden partition. First of all, for YEARS I've been dedicating a 512MB partition to Windows XP's boot menu (and extra room for stupid installers that force extraction to C:\). I like doing that so I can have a separate backup of the boot partition and menu. That way the boot menu isn't directly on any of the Windows installation partitions.

13. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    The only other advantage that i see of a hidden partition is i never get "BOOTMGR is compressed" error. Sometimes people or programs select the "Compress this drive to save disk space" in drive properties window that leads to an unbootable OS. Since it is only 100 mb its not going to bother anybody.

The downside to this is you create two primary partitions for a single OS, and you can create only four primary partions on a disk i.e, you can insall only two more operating systems.