Hoe do you activate XP with an SLP string in the BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by fred64, Nov 16, 2010.

1. fred64

fred64 MDL Junior Member

May 2, 2007
    I have a computer with a HP SLP string in the BIOS but I don't understand what other files are needed.
    Couls someone please explain the whole process to me please or redirect me to where I can find the information
    Thank you

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Guess you missed the sticky thread called Create OEM:SLP CD ?

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    To activate xp machine OEM SLP1.0 machine you need windows xp OEM + oembios files + oem slp serial number.

P.S. XP pro retail or VLK can be converted to OEM. All information needed is in the stickies section.

4. fred64

fred64 MDL Junior Member

May 2, 2007
    Thank you for your replies they are quite helpful.
    Perhaps I should explain a little further, I was given the computer but the system was completely mashed so I formatted the HDD and reloaded XP only to find that it would not activate.
    I have now downloaded the files needed but what do I do with them to have the system use them?
    Do I have to install the files and the key as in Win7 & or Vista or will the system just recognize them?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Man, you really can not read? Or English is not something you understand easily?

All the info you need is in the stickies

SLP string in BIOS, OEM SLP key, oembios set corresponding to the SLP string = OEM activated XP

Just use the oembios changer

sebus

6. fred64

fred64 MDL Junior Member

May 2, 2007
    A rather harsh reply

sebus your reply was rather harsh and unnecessary and has done nothing to enlighten me! The devil is in the detail

Yes there are certain files needed but what do I do with them? Is it necessary to install the key and the files in the same way as Win 7 or do I need to add them to an ISO and do a re-install? I have read the stickies several times and these are the things that elude me and which is why I asked for a blow by blow description in the first place.

Please help and don't punish

7. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Download the oembios changer

Download the correct oembios files

run the changer with the oembios files in the correct folder (compressed or uncompressed)

restart computer and enjoy

It really IS as simple as stickies???:cool:

Serial is automatically changed. The files are placed in proper locations..No need to reinstall xp or make ISO.

Remember..XP is NOTHING like Vista or W7 to activate...