Home computing

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by IGraham, Jan 21, 2012.

1. IGraham

IGraham MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    Hi
    Not even sure how to ask this so bear with me
    Is it possible to set up a home computer to be accessed from multiple placers with in the home, probably by just one user/access point at a time - though more than one would be nice. I'm not talking about networking multiple computers but something closer to the old mainframe and thin clients. Has anyone done anything like this and if so what hardware was needed - cheep would be nice.
    Thanks for any thoughts you might have on this

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    I think I understand.. It depends on OS so you will have define a few things further. File shares? Remote desktop? Virtual machine (this will require some resources depending on how many machines)? List preffered OS or if funds are limited what are you currently running? What hardware do you currently have to work with?

The more specific you can be the better answers you will get. Post back.

3. IGraham

IGraham MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    Hi

Thanks for both replies, the Windows MultiPoint Server though a bit over the top is quite close to what I was thinking of, seems to be W7 64x as well which is good. I'm just toying with the idea at the moment, would be a nice project though.
    At present I have a W7 64x desktop & monitor set up in one room, I would be moving the PC to another room. Windows MultiPoint Server seems to be downloadable and as its W7 64x DAZ Loader should work hopefully.
    Any thoughts on a possible ways to connect the MultiPoint Server to the 'keyboard & monitor stations' as they wont like in the video be adjacent to the MultiPoint Server. The monitor signal would degrade (I believe) if I tried to use long cables - if long cables actually exist.