Home office setup guidelines

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by tusharkalbhor, Dec 18, 2013.

1. tusharkalbhor

tusharkalbhor MDL Junior Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Hello All..

I am preparing a home office setup for a friend. Its going to be 10 Desktops-All Windows 7 Pro (32bit).
    Basic 24-port switch. Internet will be through a router.

I proposed data backup as the data is most critical for any business.
    So, here's my plan:
    1. image backup of all PCs as they come with windows 7 pre installed on it (Factory defaults)
    2. Then I will setup all software needed, all configurations/setup, antivirus installed. One more image at this point for all computers.
    3. All users will save data to a network location.
    4. For this, do i need a dedicated file server? Is there any alternative?
    5. I want this storage to be RAID for data redundancy. (Total requirement up to 4TB)
    6. How can i implement this in cost effective way as this is for a home office scenario. we are on tight budget.

2. Up All Night

Up All Night MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2013
    #2 Up All Night, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    Not an expert but, sounds like a sound plan.
    The dedicated server wouldn't have to be a speed demon.
    Microcenter and other stores have a buy the cpu and get the MB for free. (AMDs are sufficient 4 of 6 core)
    Might want to check it out.

I would definitely use a gigabit switch and turn off DHCP - lock all the PCs IPs addresses down.

For monitoring the network, there is a great little program that is inexpensive. (Put it on the server)
    Look up networkview.com or LanView is free.

Set up remote desktop so you can fix problems remotely.

Have FUN!

PS: Love my Asus RT-N66U - Has features some professional routers have...

3. nick_b

nick_b MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    regarding your network storage, use a NAS, something like a QNAP ts-1079, put 6 2tb disk in, you can get Seagate enterprise 2tb cs2 disks for £100 each, put them in raid 6, you'll have 8tb then. it can store all your backups, do virtualisation if you need it, can even set a ttfp server so your computers can load their images from it, if you need to change them all. you can set quota's. they are good, go for a better model, so you get speedy network transfers. you can always change the processor in that model for a better one and add memory yourself, makes it quicker.

Use the other drives for hot spares and one to put a larger HDD in to have another back up of your data, raid alone is not a good idea, always hold data, if its valuable in at least 3 places. so you would put in the 4tb disk, copy data over, then remove it and store it, next day/week whatever your requirements are stick in another disk and copy the data again, and store that disk. so at all times you can go back at least 2weeks and retrieve data. the NAS will also do iscsi, so you could have another machine with disks in and use them through the NAS.

it also has more than 1 network adapter so they can be teamed, i.e. you team 2 adapters you get 2gbe bandwidth 4 you get 4 gbe bandwidth, you need a switch to support this, think the 1079 does 10gbe too.

goto QNAP and have a look
    there are others, some rack mount ones too.

I have 3 at home, an 870 pro, 809 and 509, all upgraded.

If I may add, if you are using network cables around electric cables, i.e. the run next to each other use some of these Cat6a STP - LSZH - Patch Cables -Cat6a Shielded LSZH Patch cable, double shielded brilliant improved my network. you get them from , different colours, lenghts, and all tested. good luck universalnetworks.co.uk/product.htm?product=cat6aLSZH-booted-made-to-order

4. nick_b

nick_b MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    if you don't want to buy as NAS, you could make one yourself, with free NAS or something like it.