hosts file frozen

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by tusharkalbhor, Nov 22, 2012.

1. tusharkalbhor

tusharkalbhor MDL Junior Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Hey people...
    I have a PC on my workplace network. 3 days back it stopped visiting certain websites. e.g. if I go to gmail.com, i can see a login page. If I enter my credentials, i am taken to a blank page where bottom status bar shows connected to google.com and the circle on the TAB keeps rotating forever. In chrome, however, after few seconds the page cannot be displayed occurs. I have tried with different IDs, same problem. so I checked the hosts file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc, it was hidden. its properties show that its hidden(and greyed out, so I can not change) and read only. I also tried to change the attrib from command prompt (I logged in as actual administrator and not user with admin rights). it gives access denied error.

if I open hosts file in notepad with these attribs (+R +H), and modify it, it can not be saved saying check the network path.

I guess, the file is compromised. the bottom of the file shows 127.0.0.1 and ::1

But I guess as it is hidden, its not letting me connect to internet properly.
    So how do i change the attributes?

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Hello,

Just open it with Wordpad or Notepad as admin (I mean open Wordpad or Notepad as admin, then open the host file), then you can edit or modify it. :cool:

3. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Also your security software may be blocking you messing with your hosts file. Reboot your computer in safe mode and open your hosts file then in admin, and that should work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...