How about that SourceForge?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by LordSamanon, Jun 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. LordSamanon

LordSamanon MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2015
    What are your opinions on the SourceForge controversy? I'm not happy about it, not at all. It looks like it is turning into Download.com

I would give you guys some useful links but first post! So I don't have the proper level. You guys can find info on your own I'm sure. :)

2. ugurano

ugurano MDL Junior Member

Apr 14, 2014
    filehippo.com

better and without ads

3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I have no idea why Sourceforge lost the plot, maybe they want a get rich quick scheme ?
    Softpedia is a better alternative to filehippo

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #4 EFA11, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    glad I just walk into peoples servers instead of DL sites lol

me has a do a lil google to get some idea wassup

Code:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/218764/warning-don%E2%80%99t-download-software-from-sourceforge-if-you-can-help-it/
    -ed-
    oh and LOL
    Code:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/207692/yes-every-freeware-download-site-is-serving-crapware-heres-the-proof/
    -ed2-

sorry still LOLing, glad we have a how to not download place to learn lol

[​IMG]

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Hi Crazy Lady, image not shown. :weep: :D

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    #6 Michaela Joy, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    The trick with Sourceforge is to grab the source code and rebuild the project (provided you can)
    More and more projects are using open-source build tools (gcc, FreePascal, etc)

I encourage everyone to move away from commercial development systems if possible.

worlds-most-interesting-man-meme-generator-i-don-t-always-download-frm-sourceforge-but-when-i-do.jpg

:D

:MJ

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    The main reason Sourceforge isn't what it used to be: It was taken over by another company in Sept. 2012: http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/18/3351804/slashdot-sourceforge-purchased-by-dice

A little over a year later the developers of GIMP left Sorceforge: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/08/gimp_dumps_sourceforge_over_dodgy_ads_and_installer/

In my opinion, Sourceforge has gone the way of Tucows, Softonic, Softpedia, Soft32, and CNET. I would not download any Windows-based software from any of them, period. The only things I download from Sorceforge nowadays are Linux .iso files. And even then, I always perform an MD5Checksum to make sure they haven't been tampered with. ;)

8. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    What's wrong with Softpedia, I find that's the only place that doesn't bundle crap with their downloads. They give you options to download off their site or off the developers !

9. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    @R29k: I just went there and it looks like you're right about Softpedia. I haven't used them for a couple of years and it looks like they've made some major changes since my last visit. I remember that they used to offer "multiple choice" download buttons for an item, and only one proved to be legit. The others would lead you to "download managers", or sometimes to other software you didn't even want. It looks like they've cleaned up their act entirely.

10. cdavisdeco

cdavisdeco MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2015
    #10 cdavisdeco, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Is it that serious?

11. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    In case I become lazy and forget about them, I've blocked SourceFraud via the hosts file.

12. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
  13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #13 Joe C, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  14. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
  15. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :g:That's the program itself that is bundled with the ads rather than the site serving it !

16. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
  17. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Actually, Major Geeks is telling you that this software is bundleware. Which is much better than what Cnet does!

18. YukinoAi

YukinoAi MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2015
    That's odd. Is this still an issue? I was aware of the issue of malvertising but never found sourceforge to be affected and that PCworld link seems to indicate that it's not an issue any longer.

While I usually just go to the developer websites directly (handbrake, vlc, k-lite w/mpc), I just went to sourceforge right now and it seemed clean when I downloaded filezilla. Checked the cert on the .exe and it's the actual .exe from the filezilla developers not a wrapper, same with OpenOffice.

In the past, it either had a download manager, with the crapware, or a direct link underneath and I always just clicked on the direct link but now they are all direct. I do use uBlock Origin but even when I disabled it and reloaded, the page looked (almost) exactly the same, just took like 20 seconds to load instead of being near instant still offering untouched downloads.

It looks like they tarnished their reputation at some point but in my mind the site is clean atm and I have no qualms about using or browsing sourceforge with or without uBlock Origin.

19. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014

Please see my reply in post #12

20. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    fosshub.com is a very good one, free of junk - but, it's only free open source software (hence the FOSS).
    I lost faith in Sourceforge after seeing the rubbish they pile in with the FileZilla installer; luckily, filezilla's site has the alternative DL links to SF without the bundleware.