How activation works? (Windows 7)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by can_script-kiddie, May 13, 2011.

1. can_script-kiddie

can_script-kiddie MDL Novice

May 12, 2011
    Well I have always been interested in knowing what Microsoft uses for windows activation, like the files which call out it there servers, these servers host name, IP address etc.

Anyone able to help?

I have my own firewall which I can use to block what I like, that is one reason why I ask.

Also sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #2 zahnoo, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. can_script-kiddie

May 12, 2011
    I have both, firewall (Software on PC's and Linux Box) and router.

Well I guess I must put learning this behind me for a while, that link you provided, I think my teacher at Taft at the time, printed out and gave all the students something to read. I have an education copy of XP so I never really needed to activate Windows XP, thank god...

XP was also used as a name for god, at least two letters looking like XP. Just goes to show how high ppls at Microsoft are :D

4. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    The link I posted is interesting to me simply because it reveals how the mind of Microsoft works. And when I first read it, it helped me understand why I kept having to reactivate XP; multiple times on occasion. At that time, I was new to building computers and was making many "newbie" errors. It all eventually worked out.

I've read one article specific to WAT and Windows 7 but can no longer find the site. No matter, sooner or later all the particulars of Windows 7 activation will be known and published. They may be now, but my interest in the subject is just not what it once was. Where computers used to be a hobby and a tool, now days they're just a tool that enable or enhance other activities.

As to XP's godliness, X and P, are the first two letters of the Greek word for Christ. But I tend to go along with Microsoft's statement that "XP" was a contraction of sorts for the basis of creating NT's latest version incorporating user eXPerience.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. can_script-kiddie

May 12, 2011
    Ah the days of Windows XP, I recall what was it service pack 2? that caused Compaq computers to crash. I was working at a computer shop for free (unpaid), I got a nack for removing that service pack and restoring a computer. FUN!
    (The shop sold pirated copy's of windows, pre installed on computers, mostly it was Windows 98 se, but we soon switched to XP. The odd thing was the owner was never found out by the police, he lost the lease to the shop cuz he wasn't open or around when he should have been. Man clients and customers can really be stupid, one guy made a complanete about how his new computer did not have 10GB of free space, he was sold a PC with a 10GB hard drive and Windows 98 se and other software installed)

I did a quick search for that 'WAT and Windows 7 ' man there is loads of sites on braking it, me thinks Microsoft has wasted an epic amount of money, lucky they spend more money on selling there stuff then making it work as it should.

Well the whole XP thing, still normally things are named with the first two letters of a word, so it would normally be Windows EX. But you could create a whole forum on this once topic, lol.

6. can_script-kiddie

May 12, 2011
    No way before service pack 3, this was long ago.

I know Microsoft or Compaq told people not to install the service pack, cuz it made the system unstable.

I don't recall much, but I am damn sure it was SP2.

I myself always do a fresh install of windows when I get my systems, well I build all my computers, its my laptops mostly.