how can i activate windows vista previously installed on my acer computer?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lovestudio, Mar 24, 2014.

1. lovestudio

lovestudio MDL Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OEM SLP Key + OEM Certificate + Full SLIC Table = Vista Activated Offline

I had biult-in vista home premium with acer, now it is probably dead, and I want to download from the links here provided new windows vista home and activatre it online unsing the keys I have as:

product key: 25 symbols as: 984hj-434f3 and so on.

above them I have: 00148-118-205-544

that is not enough to reactivate it???

where and how can I get
    OEM SLP Key + OEM Certificate + Full SLIC Table and what I have from it in the symbols above???

thanks. DO not blame me, I have read about 12-14 pages before registering here.
    :rolleyes:

2. joshy

joshy MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    I'm reinstalling Windows for a friend. Normally when I reinstall Windows 7(which is what I do 99% of the time) I use the Windows 7 Loader Extreme Edition 3.503, the go to advanced and just include the serial and cert and logo. I prefer this because it's at least legit(at least for my understanding since the computer was bought and paid for with the same version of Windows installed). But this tool doesn't seem to let you just install just the serial and cert. I'd prefer to not use any tools that actually hack the OS. Am I missing something? Does this tool let you just install the serial and cert?

I've tried to keep my eyes peeled for an App to activate Windows Vista and 7 and is kept somewhat updated, but I've never seen one. Any recommendations? The windows 7 extreme edition tool I use hasn't been updated in years, but it's never failed me except when I need to activate a non-Windows 7 machine.

Thanks.

Joshy

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  4. joshy

joshy MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply. But doesn't Daz loader add in some kind of hack? When I activate windows 7 machines with the extreme edition tool it's immediate. With the Daz loader it pops up with a message that I have to reboot for it to activate, which seems to imply a hack of some kind from my perspective.

I'm 99% sure it has a 2.0 SLIC. I checked it out with RW everything and the 7 extreme loader. The extreme loader reports the slic, but since it doesn't do Vista activation it offers no serial or cert. I'd love to have some DOS tool I could run that would spit out the SLIC version and what OEM it is, but I haven't seen one of those around. In the case of this computer I knew it was Vista Home Basic since the sticker is on the front and back. I don't have that SLICk toolkit you mentioned, but I'll download it and run it on the machine right now. Can't hurt. ;)

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  6. joshy

joshy MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    I did run the SLIC toolkit. It shows up as a Gateway 2.0 SLIC, which is exactly what I expected. It is an emachine, which is/was(not sure) by Gateway. So I've validated via 3 different methods that the BIOS has a 2.0 SLIC, it belongs to Gateway, and it is valid.

It doesn't modify any files for me because I do the advanced mode, which then gives you the option of the slic to load into memory, the cert, the serial, and the OEM logo. I don't load the SLIC and just do the cert, serial, and OEM logo. This is how I've always activated computers for friends and family that they have fubar'd for whatever reason. I prefer not to modify the OS because I never know if I'd be around to help them later(I'm military).

I'm trying to forget the Windows 7 loader. I know it won't work in this case(it's for windows 7), and I'd like to have something newer. I'm just trying to find something that actually activates without some kind of hack. The way I've done it with Windows 7 loader has worked for a few years(I never touch Vista normally), but now I have a Vista machine which it won't work on. I knew it wouldn't work before I started reloading Windows on it.

As for the Daz loader only installing the SLP key and cert, I'm not convinced of that. I'm not arguing with you, I'm just trying to get validation of this behavior I guess. That's why I posted in the first place. I'm convinced it modifies and does more than just the key and cert. The first time I ran it and clicked install it said something like 'reboot to apply acer". I don't have an acer, but it was top on the list. So I feel like the program requires you to choose a model and such, the default was the top in alphabetical order and it will automatically add a slic hack regardless of if I need one.

If this were a Windows 7 machine and I had used the Windows 7 loader it would have chosen the correct key and cert that matches my BIOS' SLIC automatically. In windows 7, before I had the windows 7 loader I used to activate them from the command line with 2 or 3 commands. I'd download the cert and key manually. Whether I did it from the command line or I used the windows 7 loader it instantly was activated. No reboot was required. Windows 7 loader behaves just like that for me when I install windows in a machine that already has a SLIC and it has never failed me.

When I use the DaZ Loader it behaves differently. It loads up and doesn't select a cert and key that matches my slic, leading me to believe it either doesn't detect it, or its bad. I'm convinced my SLIC is good since I've validated 3 different ways that the SLIC is good. After clicking "install" it tells me I have to reboot. Even if I don't reboot and check the system information it says Windows is not activated. To me this sounds exactly like Daz Loader wants to install a hack, reboot to apply the hack, and use the faked SLIC. So to me its wanting to add a hack even though my BIOS can legitimately activate Windows Vista. Do you disagree my observation in the difference in behavior and what I'm expecting?

I'm sorry if I sound confrontational. I like to know what goes on in the background(I love to learn!) and I'm struggling to find a tool that can do what I'm hoping to do. I'm just not convinced that Daz Loader is doing what I think it's doing as I've explained above, and I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself well enough for you to understand.

As for that Windows PE, thanks for that link. I'll definitely download that for future reference. That might be useful someday.

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I guess my best advice to you would be read the Windows Loader threads, because that truly is all the loader does. Daz has explained repeatedly how the loader works. It does not modify files, and if you know anything about a boot process then you will have some idea or more about what the loader does.

the only thing required by Windows is that the cert and key match each other, not your system specificity.

8. joshy

joshy MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    Actually, things are more complex than I thought.

So I went and ran the Windows Loader 2.2.1 on my Dell machine. It worked exactly how it should. It selected the Dell info. It was already activated and I didn't try to "reactivate" it since I don't know what the consequnces may be.

I ran the Daz Loader again on the desktop in question so I could manually choose Gateway(or eMachines.. whichever is available) and neither are listed. It appears that the Windows Loader v2.2.1 doesn't support Gateway/eMachines. :( So I'm arguing because of behavior that I wasn't expecting. I'm shocked that Gateway/eMachines aren't supported. Especially since they are a name brand.

@EFA11: I went and looked at the Q&A and tried to read up on Daz Loader. It appears that it *can* install some kinds of hacks. It's obvious because of questions like:

That kind of stuff shouldn't happen on a system that actually meets all of the requirements for activation without any kind of hack or mod.

Daz also says things like:

The keyword "other" makes it sound like it definitely can be used for some kind of hack.

I guess I was hoping/expecting to find a tool that reads the SLIC from your BIOS and simply gives you the option of installing the matching cert and serial with no option of installing any kind of hack. It sounds like there is no tool like that.

I guess I'll just have to assume that it's not actually trying to install a hack when used with a system with a valid SLIC and just adds the cert and serial. Not ideal because I like to be able to tell it to not install a hack under any circumstances, but you can't always get what you want in this life I guess.

So I'm off to find the cert and serial for my SLIC and Vista and activate it from the command line I guess. Thanks everyone for the help.

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    other in his sentence is referring to things people have tried prior to using loader, not the loader itself. Regardless, there are no hacks involved or it wouldn't be on MDL. But good luck to you in your journey :biggrin:

10. joshy

joshy MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    Oh? I'm not really into the whole 'black market' and I was under the false impression that the forum says they don't condone illegal activities, but it's one of those things where 'if I don't realize it then its not a problem'.

Thanks for that last comment EFA11. I feel much better about the tool. Just wish it supported a lot more companies. You never know what brand's computer will show up at my door with someone requesting a reinstall. Easy way to make a little money for a few hours of my time.

For anyone that wants to know in the future

I downloaded an xrm-ms file and found a serial that was labeled for gateway/emachines from a single search in the forums and then ran the commands with admin credentials:

slmgr.vbs -ilc yourfile.xrm-ms

slmgr.vbs -ipk theserialnumber

Each command took about a minute to run, as soon as the popup that it inserted the serial number successfully, it was activated. Didn't have to reboot or anything.

Thanks everyone! Definitely adding Daz Loader to my toolbox.

11. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    :doh:

and awesome hehe

12. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Without words ... :doh:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    I think the issue here is/was that Windows Loader does use 2.1 SLICs/certificates/keys, not 2.0 ones. Thus it will up the SLIC 2.0 to 2.1 by installing the Loader part. At least, that's my experience so far.