How can I change the default mail client in Win 7 (using Ff)?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ThomasMann, Nov 30, 2017.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I have a new e-mail from (swiss) proton-mail.
    When I get a mail there with a mailto: link inside and click it, it will open a thunderbird account, because this is set as default.
    That I click on the link in a proton mail, seems not to matter.

How can I change away from Thunderbird as the default client. As you probably know, it is NOT possible to unclick Thunderbird in the default settings..... (Another very intelligent trap that makes Firefox so sypmathetic)

In the win 7 default settings, I can set them to "Ask every time", but then all I get is the choice between firefox (directly in the browswer!) or... thunderbird.

Anyone has found a way to change that default to my chosen e-mail provider?

Thanks. TM

2. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I got a reply from Proton, and they basically tell me that I am absurd to expect a functioning e-mail from a free version..... (you can check it on reddit, if you want to)
    They did do a similar story with their "free" VPN offer. (which I never expected to be usable)

They made quite a good impression when these swiss arrived on the scene, but now I see I made a mistake, recommending them...

Sorry! If anyone has a problem now

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #6 Joe C, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    100% agree, there is one another problem, but for that problem is no settings anywhere available.

7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    *moderated*

IT IS WRITTEN IN POST #5 !

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Which client do you want to have as default instead of thunderbird?
    Actually clients when started first time do ask if they should be the (new) default.

And mailto behaves like a file extension which can be assigned to new programs.
    If you want to resolve your issue you should post more details, there are people who offer help. ;)
    What is your email provider, which client do you want to use to receive them mails, what do you want when you click on mailto?

The link I had posted works. You can assign mailto to any client.

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

As I wrote: "But in this case Mozilla is not the culprit, because my mail-client does not provide the necessary bridge..."

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #11 Joe C, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    @ Enth. Actually Yen said it in post #3, I only re-worded it a bit, seeing as how this is not a very nice thread.... I'm outta here

12. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I really will miss you, and your helpful answers to questions no one asked...

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I was attempting to be cordial, but seeing as your a real turd, I won't be seeing any more of your posts again

14. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A FRINND, I AM LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER TO THE QUESTION I ACTUALLY DID ASK!

WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND IN THAT SENTENCE?

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Maybe it's the badly/mysteriously described question that causes nobody to "get" it ;)

16. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Once again: IT IS NOT...

This is getting really entertaining. I have answered all this already twice, but you guys are so clever, you see absolutely no need to actually read my answers and try to understand them. I asked how ro change the default mail-client, because I already had tried the usual ways. But that is no reason for you to accept that, you simply kept on repeating your sermons, that it must be my stupidity.

In #2 #10 #17 I wrote:

"But in this case Mozilla is not the culprit, because my mail-client does not provide the necessary bridge..."

Try and have a look. Here is a hint: #17 makes it the easiest, and then look at your answers...... Jesus!