How can I create a bootable Windows 7 external USB device? (USB Flash drive or HD?)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by donalgodon, Feb 10, 2011.

1. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I want to run Intel's SSD Toolbox to secure erase it, since I obviously cannot do so while it's booted, but I've not been able to create an externally bootable device via USB. I only have access to laptops, so I can't remove the drive and install it in a desktop SATA to do it. Is it possible to make a bootable Windows 7 device and run SSD Toolbox externally from it?

Thanks.

2. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Thanks, but I did , in fact, search for what I was asking, which it seems that perhaps you are not at all clear about, maybe from simply misreading my original question. I'm asking about installation TO a USB, not FROM one, which is, from my perspective, a different question than the link you posted actually addressed.

I want to know if it is possible in some way to make a bootable external disk for Windows 7 in which can include SSD Toolbox.

Does anyone know if this is possible? It seems like such a simple thing. I can't understand why Windows doesn't allow installation to USB drives by default.

3. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    my bad... but since your intention is to actually wipe a drive, why not just make a BartPE XP disc to run the tool? You don't really need 7 do you?

as for laptop SATA drives, the connectors are EXACTLY the same as the 3.5" desktop drives.... you can pull a laptop SATA drive out and it will plug right in to a desktop without any adapters
    they ended that madness that was with PATA

4. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Would Bart allow me to install the SSD Toolbox to it before I burned it to boot?

I don't have any way to get my hands on a desktop that I can run the tool from, otherwise, it'd be no problem.

5. 01e6e10

01e6e10 MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    Check this link: reboot[dot]pro/10126/