How Can I Disable Malicious Software Removal Tool

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ChaserLee, Aug 20, 2015.

1. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    I don't like it, don't need it, and don't want it. Is there a way within Windows 10 that I can disable this program, and not get updates for it in the future? Better yet, I want it completely gone from my system. Is this even possible, or, as is the case with so many other things in Windows 10, am I just stuck with it?

I have done countless searches, tried several things, even going so far as to rename MRT.exe in Windows\System32\ but the OS just re-installs the program again within a few hours.

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    yes with removing the package of MRT

use Wintoolkit or install wim tweak

3. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    #3 abbodi1406, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Code:
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT" /v "DontOfferThroughWUAU" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

4. genenioo

genenioo MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2007
    Got to agree on this one. Takes up the most time by far of any 'update' for no reason I can see at all.

5. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    #5 ChaserLee, Aug 20, 2015
    (OP)

I VERY MUCH appreciate the schooling!! The entry has been added to the registry, and time will tell if it does the job. I'll update in a day or so to let you know if it solved the issue on a permanent basis.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Thanks for the reply! I'm going to go with abbodi's suggestion first, as that seems to be the more permanent solution. If it turns out that it does not work, then I'll give your method a try. Situation updates to be forthcoming....

7. Carol666

Carol666 MDL Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Myself to get rid of defender and that malicious crap I typed in C search box defender and just deleted everything that showed up the same in registry. And it worked.

8. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014

I don't so much mind Defender, because my installed Anti-Virus Program has it already permanently disabled, so it's not a bother to me. I was more looking for a final solution to rid my system of the Malicious Removal Tool. But alternate approaches are always good to know, and put in the 'toolbox'. Thanks!

9. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    #9 ChaserLee, Aug 21, 2015
    (OP)
    Well, so far, very good! The OS has usually replaced the re-named MRT.exe by this time, but after applying that reg patch, it still has not, and I even did a restart to give it the opportunity. So, for now, I call this the solution to my question. After the next round of updates, I'll see if a definition update comes down the pipe. I don't expect to see one, not after doing that reg entry.

All that to say this.... many thanks once again, abbodi !

10. crazysharath

crazysharath MDL Member

Aug 13, 2012
    #10 crazysharath, Aug 21, 2015
    I saved this as .reg file, but i get an error when importing saying not a registry script.

11. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014

It is an Admin Powershell command. Open an Admin Powershell, copy and paste the entire line, and press Enter. Viola, you're good to go!

12. lordashram

lordashram MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2015
    That is a command line function to add the registry, for it to ge a registry script it would need to be this:
    @ChaserLee, command line not exclusive to PowerShell.

13. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Ok, 6 one way, half a dozen the other. Both roads lead to happiness... :)

14. Leadbelly

Leadbelly MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2010
    #14 Leadbelly, Aug 21, 2015
    Save this as a bat file and run it.

Code:
    @ECHO OFF

ECHO.

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT" /v "DontOfferThroughWUAU" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

ECHO Done...

:finish
    ECHO.
    ECHO Installation complete.
    ECHO Press any key to exit.
    PAUSE > NUL