How can I do a clean (reformat) install of Windows 8.1?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by SEALBoy, Oct 19, 2013.

1. SEALBoy

SEALBoy MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2008
    I have an upgrade key to Windows 8 that I bought to upgrade from 7. Now that Windows 8.1 is out, I would like to upgrade to Windows 8.1, but I want to do a CLEAN, REFORMATTED install.

How can I do this when I only possess the upgrade key to Windows 8.1.

I am sure many other people are interested in doing this as well.

2. remco8264

remco8264 MDL Junior Member

Mar 10, 2013
    You need to enter the generic product key for your version (Core of Pro) during the installation of 8.1, but afterwards you can change it to your own key and it should activate.

3. SEALBoy

SEALBoy MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2008
    Can you elaborate? When I run the installer from Microsoft's website and use the generic key, it says it can't connect to the internet. Do I need to download the RTM x64 ISO for Windows 8.1, and then enter the generic key?

And at what point do I change the generic key to my Windows 8 key?

Many thanks.

4. acegeezer

acegeezer MDL Novice

May 15, 2008
    I didn't think a download of the ISO was available/possible without buying a copy!

5. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Generic key do not work, you have to use a genuine one.

6. SEALBoy

SEALBoy MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2008
    Wow that is some BS.

When I try to do a reset using the built-in reset feature in Windows 8.1, it says I have files missing. Can this be solved by mounting the ISO of Windows 8.1 RTM?

7. remco8264

remco8264 MDL Junior Member

Mar 10, 2013
    I used this to download the ISO via the Microsoft site: eightforums[dot]com/installation-setup/33164-how-download-windows-8-1-iso.html

During installation you enter the generic key. After installation, Windows won't be activated and you will have the option to change the key. You should then enter your own key.

I tried this yesterday and it worked.

8. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    sure can:D

9. orca99

orca99 MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Since you already have a legit Windows 8 key, just download/install the 8.1 RTM, install using the generic installation key, and activate with your retail key. Update to GA roll-up & you're done.

10. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    First point : That is what i'm saying to download 8.1 from websetup you can not use a generic key, but a genuine one
    Second point : If you already have the 8.1 iso and only a W8 key then you can use generic key for installation and use slmgr -ipk to enter the W8 key for activation.

:vertag:

11. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Why do people always say this? this is nonsense.

Dude, use your own key that you bought, I've done it many times, upgrade or clean install it does not matter it will activate.

There is no reason whatsoever to use a "generic key", although if you do one too many installs you will be forced to activate via phone.

One thing I would recommend is that when you are done is to download a copy of Advance Token Manager, it'll save you from having to enter that long assed product key in the future and having to call the MS phone activation center.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    this is no nonsens. You only can do your install when entering a generic key first and then use your W8 key for free activation.
    If you own a legal 8.1 key, then you can ship around the input of generic key first

13. Dark Knight

Jul 14, 2013
    #13 Dark Knight, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
    If you have a legit key for Windows 8 why would you want to go through all the hassle of some generic key that will probably give you nothing but trouble or headaches?

Here is the best legitimate way to install your free upgrade to Windows 8.1:
    Do a clean / reformatted install of Windows 8 using the key that you bought from the upgrade from Windows 7 (yes your upgrade key will still work and activate on a clean install also) >** Install all Windows 8 updates (there are about 64 of them)> Reboot > Go to the Windows store by clicking or tapping on the Windows Store green tile on the Windows 8 start page and you will see the upgrade to Windows 8.1.

I did the very same thing last night using the upgrade key that I purchased for Windows 8 back in February, it works and there is no need to use any "generic key", the whole process to install Windows 8 took about 45 min - 1 hr plus another 30 min. or so to complete Windows 8 updates. The update to Windows 8.1 however will all depend on your download speed, Windows 8.1 is a 3+ GB download.

** If you do not do the Windows updates on Windows 8 you will not see the Windows 8.1 free upgrade in the Windows store.

BTW - you can also dual boot a Windows 8 upgrade if you do a clean install. Others here told me I couldn't unless I had an oem copy of 8. Well I did a clean install of an upgrade copy of 8 last night on a separate partition and I now have a dual boot Windows 8.1 / Windows 7 machine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. SEALBoy

SEALBoy MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2008
    The whole point of this is to avoid installing Windows 8 then upgrading to 8.1 from the Store. I'd just like to do a fresh install of 8.1.

15. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Can you use a genuine key just to get the download going through websetup? Then use the Windows 8 upgrade key to install/activate?

16. Dark Knight

Jul 14, 2013
    The best, easiest, trouble free way to install 8.1 is to have or install 8 then install 8.1 on top of it, either by .iso or download from the Windows store.

I really do not understand and fail to see why you want to go through all of the hassle using some generic key when you already have one for Windows 8, all you are doing is asking for trouble.

But then if you want to take the hard way through it so be it ..........

17. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    are you serious? Why installing 8 first and then upgrade to 8.1. Simply do a clean install with 8.1, insert generic key when prompted, overwrite it with your legal 8 key and install > activated. No need to make two installations :eek:

18. mimart7

mimart7 MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2012