How can I get a bin version of the Sony BIOS to flash in a EEPROM Programmer

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by toosour, Dec 23, 2009.

1. toosour

toosour MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2009
    Hello,

After having failed in getting the Crisis Recovery to kick in for my Sony VAIO VGN FE31Z, I have got someone to remove the ROM and try to reflash in a EEPROM programmer. Unfortunately cant reflash using the Sony supplied exe. Doesnt work even after extracting the .wph or renaming the .wph as bios.wph. Need the bin version.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

2. Jeff Challender

Jeff Challender MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2008
    Rename the bios.wph to bios.bin or bios.rom and you should then be able to flash it with the programmer.

3. toosour

toosour MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Jeff but that doesn't work

Thanks Jeff but that does not work. I believe some extra code needs to be removed from the .wph using a hex editor.

I have no clue how to do this.

Any help will be valued.

Cheers

4. toosour

toosour MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Jeff!!

Shall request my service provider to use the bin file you sent. WIll definately update you.

You are super!! Do share how you generated the bin file. It would be useful knowledge. ( I am not a formally trained Hardware person but do love tinkering around - thats how I bricked the Vai :) Maybe the Biosedit version I have is incomplete. I believe it .wph has to be opened in a hex editor for this.

Cheers

(You definately spread the XMas cheer with your help) A Merry Christmas to all of you

5. Jeff Challender

Jeff Challender MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2008
    Seasons greetings toosour

The bios file should program OK as it is the same file as if you were to flash it with a flasher. No code needs to be removed to program it with an eeprom programmer (I've done a number of rom chips that way).

What programmer are you using?
    What software are you using?
    What is the rom chip type/number?
    Has the chip been damaged during removal?

You should consider fitting a socket to the motherboard if possible to make future removal easier instead of resoldering!

6. Trilobugz

Trilobugz MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    Jeff, upon checking the filesize is still the same. I need the binary file of the bios and it should be exactly 1,048,576 bytes.