How can I get drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jetjock, Sep 27, 2016.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I just did an install of Win 7 Ultimate over a Win 8.1 Pro on a Dell 5559 laptop. Install went fine but it's missing a whole bunch of drivers. Chief amongst them are the Ethernet, Network and USB drivers. Since I can't connect to the internet and the machine does not recognize any USB drive I stick in, how do I install the drivers?

I've tried searching the install disk under "Sources\inf, and the "Old Windows" .inf folder but no luck with either. Sure hope someone can help.

jetjock :plane:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Burn them to CD/DVD

Should recognise USB if you installed Windows via USB

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    He installed windows 7 by starting the setup on a running 8, therefore the windows.old folder.

Next time first download the drivers from dell website, for now burning on cd (as mrmagic says) should work. Or use the usb2 port, normally that one will work under 7.

4. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I guess he's talking about the Dell 5559 laptop. Obviously he used any other device to get online LOL

6. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    I tried to install via USB but kept getting the old "driver missing" routine. Followed advice found online to go back to Install screen and switch flash drive to another USB 2 port, but that didn't work. Gave up and used my old trusty Win 7 DVD to install. Tried doing a repair install but that didn't do anything.

7. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
  8. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
  9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Windows can not be installed without drivers. All main drivers have been downloaded and installed always during installation process. Among them is also Dell. Dell uses only a few specific driver, but nobody do not need them, these are absolutely useless and not needed to install.
    Also this computer, what I use at the moment, is Dell. Had Windows 7 installed, if came about 6 years ago, now has Windows 10 Pro and Dell drivers isn't installed.
    So this story cannot be true. Something was done wrong during installation.

10. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    You need to burn them to CD, and install that way. Your other option is to roll back to Windows 8.1 and get your drivers, then reinstall 7. Why did you want 7 anyway. Your best bet would have been to upgrade to 10, then drivers would not be an issue.

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #12 Enthousiast, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Please tell me how windows setup can download drivers when there are no generic/compatible (w)lan drivers in the windows (7) image?

The one and only sure solution was given by MrMagic in the first reply (burn to cd/dvd).

12. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    This information is not correct, to say it softly. More specifically, it is deeply misleading.

13. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    The biggest thanks to You. You have said "very courtesy", but it don't make You smarter and better.

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    When you tell such nonsense as you did, you can expect a reaction like Mr.X's and he was very mild imho.

15. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #16 kaljukass, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    I really do not understand, what is wrong? It would be interesting to know.
    Maybe you're doing the stupid, as I am, a bit smarter and explains, how everything works, if to download iso image from internet and install to absolutely empty pc and everything works. Have did so more then ten years and never had any problem.

16. Micchan

Micchan MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2016
    Use DriverPack solution offline ISO
    download.drp.su/DriverPack-Offline.torrent
    you can either extract it with 7-zip or copy into a 16-GB USB.
    and be sure to check advanced mode to install the drivers only and uncheck all the bundleware included.

17. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    And how should he get that on his laptop? ;)

If he was able to use an USB drive he would already be done with it :)

I still don't see his reaction on the most probable solution by MrMagic, downloading the drivers, from the original support website, on another system and burn them to cd/dvd.

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Windows 7 has usb 2.0 drivers natively, if you using a 2.0 port and a 2.0 drive, and windows is still asking for a driver, then your install is wanky