How can I get XP back on a Acer netbook?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by FattysGoneWild, May 24, 2010.

1. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I installed 7 and it is working okay. But, I might need to go back to XP some time. I do have the recovery discs from Acer. This is for a Acer AOA150-1777 netbook. I do not have a external dvd/cd drive for it. Is there a way to get a clean install of XP Home OEM back on it? SP3 if it can happen? I do have a 4gb usb stick handy. Bios is slic 2.0 Or is it better to just cough up $50 for a usb external dvd/cd drive and install it using the recovery discs from Acer? I hate all the extra crap that comes with it though. I would much prefer a clean install if possible.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  4. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    #4 FattysGoneWild, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
    (OP)
    Wow that is a lot of info to look over. Thanks so much! :) I had no idea it was that involved to get a clean install and get XP back on the machine.

5. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
  6. mr-roboto

mr-roboto MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2008
    I've done several netbooks in the last several weeks to install/reinstall XP, but never from a flash drive. There's something called WinSetupFromUSB hosted/discussed on msfn.org, which supposedly will do the trick, but haven't tested it yet.

Using Acer media is the quickest solution for downgrading to XP, then delete the stuf you don't like. To use a generic XP disc would mean you'd (at a minimum) have to do is learn how to slipstream mass storage drivers from DriverPacks.net into your XP disc. Most of the new PCs have storage controllers unsupported by original [MSOFT] XP discs, resulting in an immed BSOD during initial setup. Then, you have to download drivers for unsupported hardware.

Anyway, good luck with it....

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    WinToFlash is a paid software, but WinSetupFromUSB isn't. And it is tested by me also. Also, if u have a COA sticker under ur netbook with XP COA key, then u can also use it.......

8. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
  9. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    The netbook actually came with XP loaded on it. You still think I would run into mass storage drive issues on a "clean" install with SP3 included? This netbook was purchased in Feb. of last year.

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  11. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Hard to say. I think you should be fine with the install though, usually if the setup finds the HD, then it will install fine. You need to be sure you can download the drivers for the rest of the machine from the ACER site. If the storage controllers are offered, then the install may be a bit more tricky. In this instance, with the lack of experience you claim, I would suggest the nlite for the ONE driver addition.

You do not extract the iso, you can install SP3 without the serial, but you need to activate after install. YOu can either install the OS as on the cd, then run the oembios changer, or add the oembios files and .sif file to the ISO.

I still think that the RyanVM tool is the ticket for you, driver packs are not necessary, and nlite should not be used past the driver addition. Just take the time to read the MSFN site, and some of the information here. It is not difficult, but there is a fair bit of information you should know about the unattended activation of XP.

The COA (serial sticker) on the computer is likely no good. Many need to be phoned to the OEM for activation, and this will likely not get you very far. It may be worth a try for simplicity though.

Good luck!!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    I will read more into this today. Thanks.

13. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    I was looking to use nlite and add the drivers only. But found the following on their site.

nLite supports Windows 2000, XP x86/x64 and 2003 x86/x64 in all languages.
    It needs .NET Framework 2.0 in order to run... Check if you have it already, maybe on some of your CDs before downloading if your connection is slow.

Neither machine has XP. Both have WIN7 home premium 32bit and 64bit. Would compatibility mode work with WIN7 for this program?

14. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Man, nlite supports Win 2000, XP, 2003 os disc creation and modification. But it can be run on Win 2000 and above........

15. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    Tito,

About WinSetupFromUSB program you tested. I wanted to make sure if I am doing this correctly.

1. Extract iso
    2. Run RMPrepUSB within program
    3. Add XP Home and click Go within program

Is that the right steps?

16. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Well, my steps are:
    1. Mount the iso in DAEMON Tools
    2. Just fromat the pen drive from windows [FAT32]
    3. Open WinsetupfromUSB
    4. Pointed the XP directory [where i386 folder is located]
    5. Click on Go [or something]

I'm using the latest beta [1.0 beta6]

17. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    I will try this method instead when I am ready for the install. Thanks man.

18. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Welcome dude....

19. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    I had another question for ya. I will be attempting this tonight. Currently the netbook has Windows 7 on it. Here is my question. If I hit F12 when booting. I can select which device to boot. Obviously I would choose the usb stick. Does the install require booting multiple times with the usb stick? If so. I can set it in bios instead. Also. If I remember correctly. When using this program. It gives you a number 1. or 2. option? I could be wrong though thinking of wintoflash instead........