How can I move files around within a folder?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Katzenfreund, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    With my XP, I could left click a file within a folder and then drag & drop it at another spot in the same folder. This doesn’t seem to Work with the Windows 10 File Explorer. Even selecting to view Large Icons won’t let me shift the icons to any other place within the same folder.

Is there a way of doing this simple operation in this advanced system?

2. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Just a clarification: do you wanna simply sort the files in a new way, like we usually do in the desktop folder?

cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    My question was general. How can I move (a) file(s) to another position within the folder? Like I could easily do with XP, for those who know it.

I may want to sort them in an arbitrary way defined by me, or just move one particular file to another place, for example at the start, the end or the middle of the folder contents, or…or…

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You're just funny.
    Open folder, right click on free space, select "More" and make Your own rules.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Sounds like something to do with auto arrange icons / align icons to grid

On the desktop, you can do this, in a folder, it follows rules set by "Sort by"

6. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    #6 Katzenfreund, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    (OP)
    I fail to see the humor...or the solution.
    In what way would making my own rules enable me to shift a particular file where I want it? Say I want to move it 2 places down the list, would I have to work out rules and regulations in menus and submenus to do this simple operation, which under XP was just a matter of dragging and dropping it?

The only way I see for doing this under Win 10 is to rename files accordingly, not make funny rules, but that's not what I'm asking.

7. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Don't rename the entire file\folder, just affix to the beginning "#1" "#2" and so on... In the order you wish the files\folders to appear.

This way the files will appear in numerical order regardless of the actual folder\file name.

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Wipe 10, install XP

Stop trying to make a new OS behave like an old one

9. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I didn’t start or stop anything, I just asked the experts a simple question and expected a straight answer, apparently rather a lot to expect. And in my ignorance of the new omnipotent system, I also naively expected it not to lack the simple facilities of an old system.

As for re-installing XP, it’s not a manner of speaking, I did actually seriously consider it, but was advised it wouldn’t run well on new hardware. And I didn’t want to spend the rest of my life fiddling with drivers and mods, let alone mustering the expertise required.

OK, thanks, this is a straight answer of the kind I expected, but which crossed my succeeding post, so I hadn’t seen it in time.