How can I save a file in selected drive ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zizi, Mar 11, 2010.

1. zizi

zizi MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    Hi all,

My PC has C:\ Drive ( for OS ) and D:\ Drive ( for storage). I do not know how to setup a path to D:\ Drive and want to save whatever I download or make a file autmatically to D:\ Drive instead of I have to select where the file save to.

Does anyone know how to Set up a path to D:\ Drive ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Create a folder called Users on D:\ - then create a folder in Users that is your Username - eg Users\whatever your user name is

Then go to C:\Users\whatever your user name is and Right Click on each folder you want to move (I usually leave Desktop where it is) and choose Properties->Location and change the C: to D: click apply and answer yes to moving to avoid having 2 locations - this keeps everything in sync with Libraries etc and is the most foolproof way to do this.

When finished C:\Users\whatever your user name is will have AppData and whatever else you leave and D:\Users\whatever your user name will contain all your data and all save to instructions will automatically go there.

There are other ways to do this by registry editing but this is so simple and foolproof.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zizi

zizi MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    @ Rosco

Thanks for your help. I tried to do your method..... but when it complete downloading, it saved both C:\ and D:\ DRIVE. Did I miss some steps or what ?

4. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    1) First of all, for web downloads setting a default save location is very easy in Firefox and Chrome. In case you use those browsers, look around in the Options/Preferences section and you'll be able to do that. In IE it is much less straightforward. The solution below works for some people.

Click on Start—>Run type regedit. click ok.
    Navigate the following key from left pane
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
    Now you should see Download Directory key in right pane
    Edit the ‘download directory’ value to the full path of the directory you wish to use. click ok.

2) For MS office, you can change the default save location to one of your choice. In MS office 2007, yo need to do the following:

Open any Office application like Microsoft Word and click on Office ORB at top.
    Now click on "Word Options" button. It'll open Options window. Click on "Save" tab and in right-side pane, you can change the "Default file location" by simply typing the exact path or by selecting the desired drive/folder using Browse button.

You'll need to do this separately for each of the Office applications.

5. killaeyezz

killaeyezz MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    hey sorry to post this here but i just wanted to know how to check if windows is activated (run type something way)earlier i was using vista and i typed something (from this website only) and a box was coming showing that my windows is activated is there a way to check it in 7?
    thxxxx:cool:

6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  7. killaeyezz

killaeyezz MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    :biggrin:thank you i checked all the three ways it is activated :)

8. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #9 Rosco, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
    When you change the location of your User folders you need to click "Apply" and not "OK" and then it asks if you want to copy all your files to the new location and you need to answer Yes using the overwrite option as your new folders don't have any files yet otherwise it creates two folder locations - the old ones in C:\Users and the new ones in D:\Users.

I'm pretty sure that is the mistake you made - I did it once on Vista years ago.

They warn you of that when you are moving them - why they do that is an example of stupidity - who wants 2 sets of User folders ????? So they should just move them.

You can fix the error by registry editing OR

You could try moving each folder back to C:\Users\ making sure to click "Apply" and copy all the files when it asks using the overwrite option then when done delete all files in D:\Users, recreate the D:\Users\YourUserName folder and then move them again making sure to click "Apply" and copy all the files using the overwrite option.

When done the right way it works fine and all links such as libraries are switched as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...