How can I set up a Network link between 2 computers please ?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by zizi, Apr 5, 2010.

1. zizi

zizi MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    Hi all,

I have a question about How to setup a network link between 2 computers.
    I have 2 computers. one is DELL and another is HP. both of them are running Windows 7 and wire internet connection. I want to set up a network link. I mean that I can use DELL to copy files or data from HP. Otherwise, I can use HP to copy files or data from DELL.I heard that It needs to setup a common IP but I do not how to do it.

Can anyone help me to show step by step how to set up a network link please ???

Thanks a lot in advance

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Dude, all you have to do is set both computers to the same workgroup. To do that go to "Start->Right-click Computer->Properties->Advanced System Settings->Computer Name. Check to see that both computers have the same name on "Workgroup"(BTW Capitals matter). Then open the "Network and sharing center" make sure that both computers are set to "Private/Home Network" and file sharing is enabled on both computers(It should be if they are set to "Home Network". After that select the folder or folders that you want to share between the 2 and go the the sharing options. Select "Everyone" and set it to "Read Only" but make sure that your account is also on the sharing list as "Full Control" or "Owner" so you can copy files too with your account password. BTW You can disable the Passwords for sharing but it is better to have them on just so nobody else can delete anything remotely. I hope this helps you out dude.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tziman

tziman MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Are both computer located in your house/office?

Are they connected to the internet? If yes, what kind of router do you have? Also are these computers connected using wireless or wires?

Doing something like this over a forum can be quite tedious. Do you have a tech savvy friend who can help you in person?

4. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
  5. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. zizi

zizi MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    Thanks so much for your info & Inst. I did it.
    Have a good day !