How can I turn off disk checking service in win10...???

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Rickkins, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Rickkins

Rickkins MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    For some unGodly reason, win10 keeps reporting an error with a hard drive.

Now, I know for a fact that this disk is fine, but this steaming turd has decided there is an issue, and keeps producing this annoying sliding popout reporting it.

• "There is a problem with this drive "R". Scan now to repair it.

I want to disable the entire thing.

Thanks...

2. andy.tay70

andy.tay70 MDL Junior Member

Dec 15, 2013
    just install windows 8

3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Maybe there's nothing wrong with your disk, but what on it, run a disk check for the heck of it to see if pop-up msg stops:
    Bring up ADMIN Cmd prompt, type chkdsk /x /f , and press enter on your keyboard, then a
    Y, then reboot, it now checks your disk for errors and fixes them.
    :tasty:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Have you ever had another OS installed on disk "R" :confused: Starting with 8.0 windows has this aggravating habit of thinking another OS is a disk error. On one PC dual booting Win 10 and 7, I couldn't stop the checks even by editing autocheck autochk :mad: Found out later that since it was UEFI, I had to enable secure boot, and that stopped it :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Try to disable the fastboot feature.

6. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    before at all, check if your HDD is right. Check the SMART, mechanical or ssd.

7. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
  8. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm talking about during normal operations, not during boot.

The drive is 100% fine, it has passed all manufacturer tests etc.
    Winturd just seems to randomly toss out an error message saying it needs to be repaired.

This is a storage drive, and is not in use when the msg appears.
    I just want to stop this so-called 'service' from functioning. I simply do not care for windows' opinion on the state of my drives.

To recap: I want to stop the service, not check or repair the drive.

9. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
  10. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Since the drive has never been used for a OS, the only thing Bat got is disconnect it. sorry :(

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

If that happens during the normal operations the most obvious thing is that you have a bad connection, a faulty controller or something like that.

Hardly that message will pop up w/o a valid reason

Check the system event log for some more clues.

12. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    To cancel a scheduled check disk, open an elevated CMD windows, type the following and hit Enter:

chkntfs /x your drive letter:

13. dsbig

dsbig MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    its not a service that can be disabled.

its hash check that kicks the error.

it has to be detecting something being corrupted. even if windows is doing nothing but only detecting the drive. and if drive is having any sector problems or communications problems it will throw the error.

the event logs will something mentions something about hashes not matching or that it wrote something to a drive and got a different response then what it wrote.

this error can also happen when the drive is in energy save mode/sleep. and drives starts and windows is trying to write to it when its before it fully spinning
    if the error happens enough times. windows will alert the user.

14. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Might be time to post Complete System Specs. From your previous posts You were still using build 10240. Did You upgrade to 10586 and the problem started, or have You been having the problem ? If You upgraded was the storage drive left connected ?

15. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009
    Haven't done any upgrade yet.

I will, however, change out the sata cable and see. I've run the seagate disk thing and it comes up fine, did the repair several times and I still get the stupid message.

The drive just contains movies, and does not even really need to be plugged in, per se, so.... if I cannot disable the service I guess I'll just disconnect the damn thing and plug it in only when I need it....

Thanks guys.:)

16. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #16 LatinMcG, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    i had a similar one and it turned out to be a glitch in win 10. run windows repair tool from tweaking.com in safemode with net.. takes 1 hr easy unless ssd then 35.. runs dism command takes 15 min alone.

then remove the seagate soft and restart.. then redownload latest seagate soft for it.

smells like usb3 drivers.. or bios and usb handling of power management.!!

try sdi-tool.org lite version.

17. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012

Or use registry method.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Change BootExecute value from
    autocheck autochk * /r\DosDevice\C:
    to
    autocheck autochk *
    C: is drive letter, what You want to disable

18. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009
    So, I "giggled" the freakin' cable, and the stupid msg hasn't shown up all day...

(hope I haven't jinxed it)

D'oh..!!

19. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Occam's razor almost always works :)

:throw:

20. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    best post evar.. (besides this one!)