How can i use my windows 7 OEM HP laptop key with a normal copy of win 7??

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by luke, Jan 27, 2010.

1. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    i want to use my oem key that come with windows 7 on a x64 install of windows but it comes up invailed because its not a hp restore disk how would it bypass this ?? thanks

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Sorry don't understand what you are trying to do.

You have a laptop that came with windows 7 x86 preinstalled ( you don't say what version )
    are you trying to install windows 7 x64 on what the laptop or another machine ?

if you are installing to laptop you need HP certificate and OEM SLP key you will find keys in stickies and certificate in C:\Windows\System32\OEM folder

but if installing on a non HP machine or none branded you need a bios mod with SLIC 2.1 or use a loader.

3. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    #3 luke, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
    (OP)
    sorry my hp laptop come with windows 7 home pre x86 i reinstalled a x64 version of home pre but when i used my key it come up as invailed? is there any way i can get those files off a restore disk i made before reinstalling? thanks for the help

i found this info i get the 2nd message

Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Activation is also known as OA. It basically is OEM basic input/output system (BIOS) activation -- meaning they've activated it already and you don't need to enter the key and activate yourself.

2. You will only be able to activate one copy of Windows 7 with the product key number being used for either the 32 bit or 64 bit version at one time, not with both. It will only allow for one installed copy with it to be activated. If you try to do it on both 32/64 bit versions, you will probably get the Your Product Key is already in use or The Windows 7 product key you typed is invalid for activation message.

4. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    A member with 240 post who does not know the basic principals of OEM preactivation ?? ...go figure! ;)

5. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    #5 luke, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
    (OP)
    i know alot about windows but i know there diffrent types of keys if you wanted to be a smart ass, go freestyle you mum

6. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    The reason why your OEM key does not work dude is because it only applies to the windows 7 version that it came with. Lets say you bought an OEM copy of Home Premium, then the OEM key will only work for Home Premium on your specific MoBo. The reason why it is not working is because you are installing a different edition of windows 7. My best advise to you would either go back to the original edition that your OEM key came with our use either a Bios mod of Daz's loader to activate the edition that you want to use. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    No need to use that kind of language luke.

8. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    True.

But then again there was no need to taunt him either...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    I'll have to agree with that ;)

10. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    So you think it's appropriate to start a new topic for every single question one might have? ...reading some of the stickies would have put him on the right track.
    It's peoples lazyness that troubles me, read? no, i just ask (even if that same question is asked & answered over and over again)

luke has been awarded with a infraction for the language he used (not by me, i intentionally let this pass and left if to other moderators to decide)
    ...case closed

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

Appropriate is to stay friendly and non-provocative, especially when being a Supermod!

This was useless...IMHO...

@luke
    No need to insult....settle down....

12. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    @Yen Hear, Hear!! :worthy:

We're all here to learn - some know more than others on different stuff - I do see Free's point tho' but ya, bite ya tongue! - all dev's deal with this sort of thing everyday from users..:cool:

13. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Well, since youve addressed me personally it would be impolite not to answer, so here goes.

I know you wont like to hear this, but i think as a moderator youve still got a lot to learn. Because 'appropriate' or not, what matters is not whether you are generally right, what matters is that you are a staff person now and as such you are not only supposed but expected to lead by example. This means you cannot act like the common member anymore, which in turn means that you are going to have to think twice about what you say and how you say it. Otherwise, and believe me i know this from experience with some of the ex-moderators in the community i co-administrate, people will start to loose all the respect they ever had for you and think of you as a jerk. And what happens then should be obvious to everyone; since you dont practice what you (have to) preach people will start to question each and every thing you do. And i think we all know where that leads; its not desirable at all.

And that was really my whole point. You took the job as a mod so now act like one. Realize that personal opinion and professional attitude are two different things and that the latter must take precedence over the former. Be diplomatic and respectful to be treated with respect in return. Thats the ticket. After all the purpose of employing moderators in the 1st place is so they can help making the members feel welcome, and you obviously wont do that by giving them the impression that they wound up in some wannabe-l33t club where even the administration makes fun of you for asking a simple question.

(And so what if they occasionally ask a question that has been answered before. This is a forum, not a database.)

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Well I didn't want to fight.:)..All I want is to run MDL smoothly...being a Supermod you have to be tactful and non-provocative...freestyler's reply was IMHO a bit too harsh....I have to fully agree with Phazor's point of view.
    Let's go back to business and topic.....:hug:

15. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    @ PhazoR & Yen,

Point taken, you guys are right
    although it was not intended as harsh as it might have been inter pretended... I even included a nice little winky ;)

16. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    A very mature reaction.

Im glad you understood that i wasnt 'attacking' you.

Peace and...happy easter. :)

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Thanks FreeStyler for your understanding...and Phazor for your great post...(I wish I could express myself in that perfect English, because you really hit the bull's-eye..)

Happy Easter...oh well isn't it April yet? ;)

18. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    im sorry if i come off the rails there but i post for help not to be bagged, any ways i ask on a laptop forum and they said to try ABR tool to extract the activation and then reapply it, its a handy tool ill be trying it soon, i wanted to see if i could find a hp recovery disk for x64 but no luck and they other thing is there any way after install x64 to start the software installation on my recovery partition? that would be handy thanks.

19. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #20 Phazor, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    Gee Yen...youre making me blush...:eek::p

---------------

EDIT2: Forum shrinked screenshot - text was not readable anymore.

Other formats failed as well so i will leave it at that. It was off topic anyway.