How can you retrive XP Product Code?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by edenn, Jul 23, 2008.

1. edenn

edenn MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2008
    I am trying to help my nephew with his computer problems. It appears that he was hit by a very nasty virus/trojan. The file "rundll32" appears to have been corrupted. He can not open/run any programs.... after several attempts to fix his computer at his house, I decided to take it home with me and spend more time trouble shooting the operating system.

After many hours of messing around with the software, I decided that the quickest way to solve the problem would be to do a "Repair" of Microsoft Windows XP. SO.... I used my WinXP setup disc to do a repair on his computer. At the completion of the repair, it asks for the product code. I entered my product code, which was rejected. I then called him to get his product code, and it rejected that code as well.

My question is.... how do you locate the product code on a computer that you can not get into windows? I can use Bart PC software to run dos, and I have been able to open "Regedit", but do not know how to locate the code. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks, for your help.

2. edenn

edenn MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2008
    Thanks for your quick reply. I tried both the 32 and 64 bit codes, and both were rejected.

3. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. Suicide Solution

Suicide Solution MDL Addicted

Apr 29, 2008
    If he has done the repair already it may have messed with the data to get the key from the original install. What is the name of the system? (Dell, HP, etc) and what version of XP did you use to do the repair?

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  7. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Belarc Advisor will also return the current installation key.

8. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    How do you see this happen if he/she can not get into the Windows installation?

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    AS per my own post no 7, boot into PE on affected machine, mount the registry from the affected machine, get the required numbers, run it on some other computer

sebus