How change package state from "Installed" to "Staged"?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by RedRat, Dec 1, 2013.

1. RedRat

RedRat MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2013
    Using install_wim_tweak.exe I can unhide all packages in the Windows 8.1 WIM image. Some of them has state "Installed", while others has state "Staged". As I understand, former packages will be installed in the process of Windows setup, and a latter will be keeping in WinSxS for a possible edition upgrade (Core -> Pro, etc).

So, my question is: how I can change the state of a package in the WIM image from Installed to Staged? I just want to not install some packages but don't want to remove them completely.

2. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #2 KNARZ, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    actually this is a good question. my investigations ended with the sessions *.xmls in windows\servicing\sessions.
    it's bound to
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\SessionsPending
    within the xml it should be possible to stage / unstage packages and so on. But i haven't done any tests so far.

3. RedRat

RedRat MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2013
    Thank you for the answer. It seems that there is no a simple way to make a package 'staged'. Well, will try to play with aforementioned .xml files.

4. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    Anything new?

5. RedRat

RedRat MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2013
    Nope. :-(

It turns out too difficult and time consuming for me.

6. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    yeah.. thats the reason why I put this on hold.
    bummer...