How come MSE / Windows Defender download the updates using Windows updates on win8.1?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Sep 11, 2013.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I am baffled! :mad: virus signature updates cannot happen in the background and instead, every few hours, I get a notification from Windows update that there are definition updates! how come half the world use this crappy AV and it can't even update signatures silently?

I tried it at work also on my Win 7 computer (so it was MSE here) and same exact thing

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Albert_DK

Albert_DK MDL Novice

May 9, 2013
    As I recall it's the same thing on Windows 8.0. So I've set up a scheduled task to auto-update Defender once every hour, to avoid WU to bug me...

3. Lacius

Lacius MDL Member

Oct 22, 2010
    It sounds like you turned off auto-updates. In Windows Update, it has to be set to "Install updates automatically (recommended)" in order to receive silent virus signature updates (since it's through Windows Update).

4. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...